S.C.U.B.A. Equipment Brand.

Why did you choose your current S.C.U.B.A. equipment brand?

• The History of the company.

• The only brand available in my Country/Region.

• The Quality/Reputation of the Company.

• The Color scheme.

• The brand was sold by the Dive Shop.

• Monetary reasons.

• The brand was suggested to me.

• I found a good deal... Scubaboard/Yard Sale/Ebay Etc.

• The brand was given to me.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boston Breakwater

"Outlaw." Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello. I was curious about other members choice of S.C.U.B.A. equipment brand, and how you made that decision.
When I got certified in 1999 I chose U.S. Divers gear. (Before they dropped that name.) I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau in the 70's. It piqued my curiosity, and I loved the thought of breathing underwater, along with my love for animals. I think it was also the history of the Aqua-Lung, and the fact that the military was using a lot of this gear.....and still do.
I bought (1) U.S, Divers Seamaster B.C. along with (2) Impulse regulators in 1999.( One for Cold Water.)
I serviced, and maintained my own gear, it lasted 18 years. When, it came time to replace my gear, I chose Apeks........solely for the quality, and reputation.
Cheers.

Attachments

• U.S. Divers Sea Master.jpg
    U.S. Divers Sea Master.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 41
  • U.S.D. Impulse..jpg
    U.S.D. Impulse..jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 38
I have a variety of brands namely Dive Rite, Atomics, XDeep, UWLD, Light Monkey, 4th element, Halcyon, Shearwater, and Oxycheq for me and my family. I purchased all based on my perceived value and quality of the item. All of these brands have served us well.

Of course, I meant the brands for different equipment. I primarily use Apeks for my gear. BP/W, First stages, Second stages, Etc. I use Shearwater for computers, U.S. Divers for mask. D.U.I. for drysuits, Fourth Element for wetsuits, Big Blue for dive lights, Faber for steel tanks,Etc.
I'm 100% positive that there isn't any dive equipment manufacturer that produces "Everything." you need for diving encompassed under the same name brand.
I thought that would be a given. My apologies for the wordage, and miscommunication.
Cheers.

Of course, I meant the brands for different equipment.

I would have a hard time responding even with that caveat. My choices tend to be individual product/model based rather than all models of "X" made by manufacturer "Z". Driving factors for me in order of priority are:
  1. Fit/function
  2. Reliability/ruggedness. I am hyper-intolerant of product failure and not especially kind to it.
  3. Value as I perceive it.
Like you, I service my own gear so that isn't a consideration.

I just go with what is well built and suits my purpose for that dive. Thinking about it, on my last dive I used a Voit regulator, a steel 71.2 tank with a Dacor valve, a Healthways SPG, a Nemrod tri-view mask and US Divers fins and knife. My computer was an Orca Edge. The manufacturer of my wetsuit went out of business 10+ years ago. So I guess I don't really care so much about the brand, only that the equipment is built well and works for me. :)

Another possible reason is to support the company. For example I buy Deep6 when I can because not only do I like a lot of their products but I want to support them because I like what they are trying to do (promote self service)

1988, and before the internet....

I started out with a $25 garage sale find SP 109 second stage, and somehow I got another too.

Supplemented it with:

- a bunch of new DACOR gear (mask, snorkel, fins, BC, 960 first stage, knife), as the magazine ads appealed to me, and I found some smoking deals at a small shop (and my PADI Wheel - I am a YMCA certified diver and used USN tables for class - didn't know anything about agencies then)

- TUSA console (diver's supply mail order - yeah, like with paper, and licking stamps....)

- SAS wetsuit as it was available from a local LDS custom made for my size.

From there, it was ScubaPro as the LDS of where I moved to in the early nineties carried it...

Then, the internet, ScubaBoard, etc., and the world opened up....

I like a whole bunch of brands, and have lots from many....

Like SP regs, have many, but have many others (vintage and modern).

Back
Top Bottom