Crotch strap for BP/W......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many thanks for the solid replies, guys.
Yeah,my main concern with the 2in belt was the possible wetsuit abrasion I'd read about, but my concern with the 1 in strap was the dreaded wedgie-syndrome,but that doesn't seem to be the case , especially since I'm highly unlikely to be using a DPV.
So it looks like I'm fine using the 1in strap I already have a stash of.
Thanks again to all..

I have a soft 2" crotch strap. No relevant abrasion I can see.
It sounds like you're referring to abrasion on the strap, but the issue (or so I've read) is with the wider straps wearing on the wetsuit material.

It sounds like you're referring to abrasion on the strap, but the issue (or so I've read) is with the wider straps wearing on the wetsuit material.

I've used a 2" strap exclusively since 2006. I've had no abrasion issues to my drysuits nor wetsuits. It's been a complete non-issue for me.

I put Zeagle Split Saddles on our warm water gear (took a little customization). Wife, daughter, and I like them for recreational diving. In the cold waters at home, I use a conventional 2" single with a neoprene sleeve for my technical gear (wife and daughter continue to use the split saddle). I also have a few straps that are a softer material.

FWIW - I do not do any scootering (yet).

I have experienced abrasion with a DIY super-stiff strap. Since I switched to a very-soft 2" (Halcyon?) strap there has been ZERO abrasion for about 10 years. Totally comfortable.

I can’t imagine scootering at full trot with a strap less than 2” would be very comfortable.

Soft 2" webbing. What we use is slightly thinner and softer than seat belt webbing and is used for backpack waist belts. No issue with comfort or suit abrasion.

I'm wondering specifically about strap thickness, what most people prefer,and why. It's been decades since I sold my dive rite rig,and cant recall what I used at the time, but I suspect it was a 2in width.
Now I'm leaning towards the thinnest 1in width, and I'm wondering if there are any reasons to avoid this and go with the thicker 1.5 or 2" straps.
Hello. I believe the main purposes of a crotch strap are (1) D.P.V. (2) Attachment point for tow behind D.P.V. / Reels etc. (3) To keep your rig from rising up at the surface. I use Apeks BP/W's and harness. They all came with 2" very soft webbing. I dive a little heavy, don't use a D.P.V., and have many attachment points. So, I don't find crotch straps necessary. I think the width is preference.
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom