Cost per Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently spent time at my townhouse in Florida to get in some diving. I was able to dive 8 of 11 days and got in 20 dives Back in the high life, part 3. For cost, I included dive trips, tips, airfare, rental car & gasoline, and groceries. I did not include anything for accommodations, though, obviously, there is some cost here (HOA fees, taxes, utilities)

My dives ended up costing $145 each, just under $2.50 per minute. A bargain to maintain my mental health :)

Clearify on tanks-- $25 for two fills? ($12.50 a fill?)
-- $10-15 for tank rentals: Don't the fills get included if you rent?
I guess it's expensive out there. When I rented tanks in FL it was like--$6 for air only and $8 for air plus tank rental.

You know you're a scuba diver, when someone says "gas" and you assume "breathing gas"

I should have been clearer: $25 for gas = gasoline to drive to Monterey/Carmel for a morning of 2 dives.

Yes, the tank rental comes filled in CA, and its between $10-15 here, still more expensive than FL

Total cost of my equipment that consists of: BPW, Regs (2 sets 1 long hose and 1 for pony), tanks (2 * 15lt and 1 * 7lt pony), 2 DC, 5mm long john wetsuit, and a camera (sony a5100, with meikon case and 2 S&S strobes) is about 3000 euros. Make it 3500 because for sure I forget smaller things, some service I have done here and there etc.
For my 260 dives so far it boils down to about 13,5 euros per dive for equipment.
Here I get fills usually with nitrox for 7 euros per tank (5 euros for air).
As for transport most of the dives I do are shore dives near my home (from 1 mile from home to 15-20 miles max) hence I consider it as 0.
So total cost for me is about 20-21 euros per dive.

After 60 years of diving,
was I supposed to add it up
and convert to 2020 Dollars?

I used to ski 50-90 days a year, I did the “Endless Winter” circuit. (not on my dime, but...) Europe, North America, Asia, then in May- to Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, Hawaii....Comparatively, SCUBA is cheap.

Old age, infirmity (re-read above paragraph) and familiarity drives me to our group “hangout”, that would be CocoView in Roatan Honduras.

It costs me $82 per dive. For a week. Airfare, food, start to finish, door to door. It costs my wife $104 per dive, she skips dives, sunbathes and sleeps in hammocks...I do not.

In my lifetime (not including my wife, nor previous “wife material test subjects“), I have written checks to CocoView well in excess of $92,000. If you add in my wife, put in for another $60,000. The dollar cost of bringing various prior girlfriends (including two red heads) was far exceeded by the mental cost, may I leave that to your imagination?

20046461-3128-430C-BB56-AC7941D2604B.jpeg

And that is just CocoView.

Add in a lifetime of 50+ week$ on liveaboard$, airfare to every dot in the Ocean and the dive re$ort, 20 BCDs, 25 Reg $et$, a dozen wetsuits, getting to Truk in 1978, renting mules to get to Chitzen Itza, Re-fkkn-breathers, yearly $ervice costs on Ball or Rolex watches, 10+ computers, cameras (starting with home built housings, Nikonos, and 16mm movie cameras), bribing TACA gate agents, countless lost dive knives, flippers, and also a half dozen Force fins, SPF297 sun block, 40+ masks including HydrOptix (minus that FREE case of 10 Mares ESAs they sent me just cuz), The equivalent of an 80 gallon drum of SeaDrops defogifier, PADI OWSI, and le$$er certs from 5 different Agencies.... we have been there, dove that, bought the t-shirt.

I’m guessing now...4900 dives?

Maybe skiing was cheaper. [but, when diving, you don’t have to eat breakfast in ski boots]

Oof you're asking the hard questions here. I'd estimate that I've spent about $4k exclusively on dive gear and classes. I've only been diving where I already had work or was paying to take classes so few dedicated dive travel costs for me, which means I'm at about $40 to $50 per dive with my 80ish dives, which actually makes me feel better about the amount I've spent. Local shore diving is all that's in my future so that'll keep going down.

Course, I'm also a bit skewed because I made that $4k back up by being paid to dive for work one summer, so technically I've broke even? We'll see how long that lasts

My dive history is divided into two distinct parts.

I certified in 95/96 and right away bought full cold water gear, tanks etc. Then I bought compressor, dry suit, more tanks, camera housing. Add in training costs OW,AOW a couple specialties. Total cost then was about $8,000. In my first 23 years I only got in about 100 dives. Some warm water resort with fees around $50 or so some home cold water with zero incremental cost other than gasoline for compressor engine.

My vacations were not specifically dive trips but family vacations where my son and I would get in a few dives.

Still $80 for equipment costs plus per dive, lets call it $100 per dive to in for resort fees etc and misc local costs.

Now I am in the Philippines. My dives are 800 p plus tip so $US 20 per dive. I have almost another 200 dives at this rate.

Reactions: Doc
Pre Covid past decade - Local dives 25 - 30 dollars per dive
Caribe - 70 -80 dollars per dive
Liveaboard - 100 -125 dollars per dive
Fiji -------------- 150 - 175 per dive
I expect to pay at least 25% or more post Covid

I'm mainly a local diver. With 725 dives my sunk costs are around $15.00 per dive. With mileage, chow and compressor fuel I'm probably around $50. per dive.

Factor in the boats, tow vehicles, permit and licensing costs,resort and rental costs, gear costs, dockage, insurances, instruction costs, travel costs and the myriad ancillary costs and I figure a net profit of $100 plus per dive spread out over a lifetime of freedive and scuba both recreational and commercial.
Much of my international travel in my younger days was taxpayer funded.
Our month long Keys trips cost us a month of wages to pay for it and a month of lost wages in addition.
My commercial spearfishing exploits boosted the average from paying for dives to getting paid to dive.
The mental health and recreation value was immeasurable.

If you live in Australia, then it is $420 per dive plus your left nut. LOL. Expensive to dive in Australia compared to other locations I have visited. The least expensive was when I was a member of a BSAC club in Abu Dhabi. We had lots of steel cylindars, two compressors and two boats (east and west coasts). Plus, this PADI-guy got to dive the BSAC way. Great learning experiences at low cost per dive (e.g.non-profit club).

Your cost per dive will be reduced if you can find a dive club to dive with. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom