Diving Morehead City in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It'll be nice to get away, I mean, I would love to mix diving in, but I'm ok as that'll either be "meant to be" or not, no big deal.

Here's a question. I'm diving (if it happens) with cousins that are diving singles. They will be limited by their air while I'm diving doubles. Not having been to NC before, how stringent are they about coming up as a team? We did the St. Lawrence last year and they were great about letting everyone do what they were comfortable with.

I mean, I'll find out when I get there, but still like to get an idea what I'm in for.

There's not a lot of hand holding in NC. None really. Just be sure to follow whatever dive plan you give the boat, really depends on the operator. I don't want to start posting each ones individual policies on here, some of the NC operators prefer a buddy team, and some put you in the water with the guidance that "all diving is solo diving"...

There's not a lot of hand holding in NC. None really. Just be sure to follow whatever dive plan you give the boat, really depends on the operator. I don't want to start posting each ones individual policies on here, some of the NC operators prefer a buddy team, and some put you in the water with the guidance that "all diving is solo diving"...

Yeah, I figured that's the answer I would get. It's fine either way. I'll shoot you a pm.

If you go offshore to the deeper wrecks NDL is going to be your deciding factor, assuming they are diving 100CF tanks. So really no reason why you shouldn't be coming up as a team.

Regarding your wife only having 20 dives, they usually get a feel by talking with the person. I'm not sure what her dive history is but we've had some challenging conditions lately. I felt like a flag on the hang line on Monday. We tried to dive the Papoose and they deemed the current undiveable. We went to the Schurz and top 40 feet wasnt fun to handle. Now you could go out and find epic 80' viz with no current. Conditions change daily.
Hope you enjoy your trip. When the conditions are right NC diving is world class.

If you go offshore to the deeper wrecks NDL is going to be your deciding factor, assuming they are diving 100CF tanks. So really no reason why you shouldn't be coming up as a team.

Regarding your wife only having 20 dives, they usually get a feel by talking with the person. I'm not sure what her dive history is but we've had some challenging conditions lately. I felt like a flag on the hang line on Monday. We tried to dive the Papoose and they deemed the current undiveable. We went to the Schurz and top 40 feet wasnt fun to handle. Now you could go out and find epic 80' viz with no current. Conditions change daily.
Hope you enjoy your trip. When the conditions are right NC diving is world class.

She has decided to not dive at all. She doesn't feel she's experienced enough, and she's TERRIFIED of the idea of sharks, and I don't want to push her to do something she's uncomfortable with or just costs me double to go diving, lol. She says she just wants to go on the boat ride (I'm sure (hope?) they allow that for a fee).

If I'm forced to come up as a team it's not the end of the world, no intention of making waves with the captain. Their boat, their rules.

It's fine, I'd lose on the motel but we have to be in NC for a wedding in the outer banks anyway. Absolute worst case is I'm in Morehead City with the wife for 2 days (without kids)...I could think of worse places to be, lol.

It’s a cool place to visit. Just wanted to make the point that I wouldn’t fly all the way out there in the winter planning it just as a dive trip.

They may allow her as a rider. However, Olympus is only operating a half capacity so the boat has pretty much been "full" every day

It’s a cool place to visit. Just wanted to make the point that I wouldn’t fly all the way out there in the winter planning it just as a dive trip.

You may have been referencing @Dr. Love post about diving in the winter? I'm trying to go the 19th and 20th of this month.

They may allow her as a rider. However, Olympus is only operating a half capacity so the boat has pretty much been "full" every day

I'll have to call and check. Idc if it's Olympus or Discovery or whomever, but the wife would be pretty pissed if she couldn't ride the boat. I might get away with it for one day, but forget 2, lol.

You may have been referencing @Dr. Love post about diving in the winter? I'm trying to go the 19th and 20th of this month.

I'll have to call and check. Idc if it's Olympus or Discovery or whomever, but the wife would be pretty pissed if she couldn't ride the boat. I might get away with it for one day, but forget 2, lol.

You’re correct. My bad.

Other than nor'Easters, the weather this time of year is pretty good. Temps are good and vis is generally good.
There exists an outside chance at a GWS sighting or a bluefin tuna.
I have seen both in Oct in that area. Bluefins are on YouTube from a few years ago. Pretty epic to see either U/W

Other than nor'Easters, the weather this time of year is pretty good. Temps are good and vis is generally good.
There exists an outside chance at a GWS sighting or a bluefin tuna.
I have seen both in Oct in that area. Bluefins are on YouTube from a few years ago. Pretty epic to see either U/W

I would love to see them!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom