Divers Insurance...Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was my response to the "DAN worthless" post:

A rescue squad I volunteered with and still occasionally assist with has dive emergency procedures pretty well covered, granted they have a dive team for SAR... At least for our squad, the Divers hold training with the EMTs to cover dive related emergencies and what to do outside of the immediate medical needs. The EMTs are instructed to take the divers gear with the patient to the hospital or at least any computer and to document the divers profiles and relevant info in the PADI accident worksheet for the hospital. We also provide the hospital with the DAN emergency number regardless whether the individual has DAN or not. DAN has always helped the hospital staff with the appropriate treatment plan, regardless of membership status. While DAN might not pay, they still assist, and for that reason alone the preferred plan will always be my choice so long as I can afford it. DAN provides an invaluable service to all divers.

Our experience with the local hospitals has been that the doctors usually don't have a sense of urgency with dive related incidents until they speak with DAN. I would make the broad assumption that most doctors will never treat a patient who had been exposed to higher than ambient pressures while breathing compressed air and potentially get hurt because of it.

On a side note, I routinely dive with my Mares ICON and have customized a screen which includes my member number, Dan's emergency phone number, allergies and blood type

Now that I am getting certified and my fiance is AOW, I have seen the insurance advertisements for DAN. Is this a good investment or no?
Please & thanks!
Hello. The cost of their highest annual coverage is probably lower than 2 Seafood platters, and 1 Dive Charter for the year. :wink:
Treat yourself, and your friend to a D.A.N. membership.
I wouldn't recommend D.A.N.'s tartar sauce though.:rofl3:
Cheers.

Put another vote in for DAN. Good outfit and I hope we never need it but I have already calculated that the cost of one chamber ride overseas (or anywhere else for that matter) will supersede the premiums that I will pay if I can dive till I'm 80 (30 years).

Absolutely. YES!!!

I’ve been a DAN member since the month I was certified ... 10/2005. I carry the highest level of coverage I’m offered. IF I’m ever involved in an accident it will pay for my lifetime premiums many times over from just the one incident.

Plus DAN is worthy of our support. It’s impossible to calculate the benefits they provide to diving.

many people are "over insured" in their lives. so please be sure you "may" actually need it.

you should consider your type of diving ang where that diving takes place. ie: do you only do local diving in shallow depths ? or do you do deep technical diving and travel internationally to pursue that ?

do you have other health care coverage ? check with that company and find out if you are covered already. if they say you are.....GET IT IN WRITING and bring a copy with you if/when you travel.

I believe the diving insurance begins with a 50 mile limit from your place of residence? I’d have to check. All my local diving is more than 50 miles from home.

many people are "over insured" in their lives. so please be sure you "may" actually need it.

you should consider your type of diving ang where that diving takes place. ie: do you only do local diving in shallow depths ? or do you do deep technical diving and travel internationally to pursue that ?

do you have other health care coverage ? check with that company and find out if you are covered already. if they say you are.....GET IT IN WRITING and bring a copy with you if/when you travel.

I agree with the part of many people being over insured, but would like to warn about the idea of being "safe" if you do local shallow dives.

If you dive you can get hurt, full stop. Doesn't matter how careful you think you are. I used to think that my risk was only present on dive trips, ignoring the thousands of dives I did locally. This year I witnessed how the dives I do every weekend and consider them the easiest, can easily bent a diver.
It all depends on how your system reacts to a given dive, it happened to a person diving with me. Everything done was well within safety margins and yet my friend ended up with a 6 hour chamber ride.

Knowing your coverage is key to deciding if DAN is needed or not, but don't underestimate the risk of diving. If you get in the water you can get hurt. Pretty much like driving a car, if you get on the road your can get hurt, even if you do everything right.

Back
Top Bottom