Acropora coral identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to identify the below acropora coral I recently photographed off Moorea in French Polynesia. It was in shallow water, maybe 10 feet deep. Grows in a thicket. Reminds me a lot of the Caribbean staghorn acropora.

IMG_8465.jpg

I uploaded several photos to Google Drive so they could be viewed at full resolution.

Acropora Identification - Google Drive

Thank you!

Looks like the staghorn Acropora yongei. aka Green Slimmer. Put a UV light on it and I'd bet it would be screaming fluorescent green.
Thank you! Sadly when I saw it I didn't have a UV or blue light on me since I came across this during day time at a snorkel spot on a whale watching tour. Oddly I did have a blue light (or rather filter to go over strobe) with a yellow filter for the camera in my hotel room at the time, but none of this near the hotel as far as I could tell.

Interesting I am familiar with green slimmer from aquariums. While I never had one, at one point I was planning an SPS tank that would have had that in it.

Thank you!

Yeah, Acropora yongei. The green slimer is famous in reefing because the color of the original (from Bali) is fluorescent green. Most of A yongei individuals appear to be more pastel green, yellow. Or blue or purple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom