Mounting BO cylinders to Genesis 1200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cylinders, no. Video lights, cameras, go pros, survey notebook/wet notes, a fourth or fifth backup light in a cave, yes. Last thing you need is to cut off your scooter in a pinch and then lose your bailout as well.

Does anyone ever mount cylinders to a dpv?
Huh?
1) Going to be crazy heavy
2) What happens if you have to cut it loose
3) How do you keep the regs out of the prop
4) Why in god's green earth would you ever mount BOs to a scooter?

ps I have a genesis 1200

My thoughts were to mount a quick release bracket in case I need to cut it loose. I was thinking about an AL30 or 40. Weight might be an issue but usually I "trigger" the scooter into position before proceeding anyway. I figured there must be a reason why I haven't heard of it before. I spearfish with the scooter so keeping my chest area clear is important. I use a backmounted pony.

a bailout cylinder is a term used by commercial divers and by rebreather divers
I think you mean a pony bottle

why not sling it?

We spearfish so keeping my chest area clear is important. On a few trips some of the other divers have run low on air, having an extra bottle to hand off would be nice. (I might have to put a red cross on the scooter:)
I also now hang a reg of 02 at 20...just in case.

Does anyone ever mount cylinders to a dpv?

Cousteau did... several times.

Here are just a couple of samples, there were more.

Pictures from FLASHBACK SCUBA museum.
Vintage Scuba Museum

20.jpg

The two side pods held small air cylinders:
15.jpg

Added: I should have mentioned, Cousteau and the Calypso divers.

You want to carry three tanks while spearfishing and ride a scooter while spearfishing so that you can hand off a cylinder to another spearo who gets in trouble?

I think a simpler solution would be to keep enough gas in your primary tank and pony to get two divers to the surface and not worry about a third bottle. If all the spearfisherman were wearing pony bottles, the need for handing off might also be eliminated.

I have built a few revisions of a DUV (Diver Utility Vehicle) including using Custom Divers QR brackets. I had issues keeping the bottle from wiggling and ended up using doubles bands. This configuration is likely overkill for your application and possibly unnecessary for team and non working dives but has worked phenomenally for me over the last several years. It balances perfectly, I can release the dpv from the bottles quickly, hose and reg management is streamline, I can deploy the 2nds while on the trigger, and ditch the gas for a 40 of o2 on my last stop to lighten my load while keeping the genny.

Attachments

• 20200311_203347.jpg
    20200311_203347.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200311_203316.jpg
    20200311_203316.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20200311_203241.jpg
    20200311_203241.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 113

Back
Top Bottom