Puerto Rico diving - yay or nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octoginger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Had a trip planned to Indonesia this November but had to push out to 2021, thank you COVID! Hoping to dive somewhere in Nov. Curious about PR. For those who have been, do you recommend? As a reference I've dived Bonaire, Little Cayman, Utila, Roatan and Hawaii's Big Island. Thank you!

So...I went last year...and on the main island it is like cattle with snorkelers. Yes...they have a better time. It was nice, and if you go...don't take your gear...the rental is in the cost or nominal and unless you plan on doing multiple dives it isn't worth the room in your suitcase. I have heard good things about Culebra, but you have time it because unless you fly directly in there...you need an extra day due to times and flight and not flying after diving.

I dove in PR and I would not go back there to dive at all. I'd rather spend my money diving somewhere else. If you need to stay in "US," Florida has MUCH better diving with much better variety of dive sites and types of diving, tons better, than PR. The US Virgin Islands are another better choice than PR.

So...I went last year...and on the main island it is like cattle with snorkelers. Yes...they have a better time. It was nice, and if you go...don't take your gear...the rental is in the cost or nominal and unless you plan on doing multiple dives it isn't worth the room in your suitcase. I have heard good things about Culebra, but you have time it because unless you fly directly in there...you need an extra day due to times and flight and not flying after diving.
THANK YOU!

I dove in PR and I would not go back there to dive at all. I'd rather spend my money diving somewhere else. If you need to stay in "US," Florida has MUCH better diving with much better variety in diving, tons better, than PR. The US Virgin Islands are another better choice than PR.
Excellent, thank you! I will look into FL and USVI.

We’ve been to PR three times, and were planning to go back this past May.

First time we went to Rincon and dove Desecheo with a day trip to La Parguera.

Second trip we went to Guanica and dove from Playa Santa.

Third trip was we dove Culebra, which was also going to be the destination for the fourth trip.

The walls off of Guanica rival Cozumel for structure and live corals.

Culebra is good variety, but have to agree with the comment above about getting there. The puddle jumper planes have weight restrictions and we bring two full sets of gear.

Our primary attraction to PR, however, is our stays in Old San Juan after the diving. We love the atmosphere, restaurants, and deep historical significance.

Save the time and money and go to Coz. The food is a lot better, too.

Is there no diving on Vieques? Curious if anyone has? personally I love PR just as a destination for family. So if there is diving to do there, even if it isn’t ideal, it would be helpful info. For myself and the OP.

Back
Top Bottom