Best online dive log app?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all the votes for Subsurface here, but to the original poster: if you are looking for a PRODUCT, something with a "money for value" exchange and a business entity on the other side that will respond the way businesses presumably do (have an incentive to do act in a certain way in order to increase their revenue, be receptive to pressure along the lines of "if you don't do what I want, I'll make you look bad"), then Subsurface may not be the best choice. Diving Log (divinglog.de) for Windows or MacDive (mac-dive.com) for, err, Mac might be what you are looking for. Both are products, both are run be really strong developers (I have talked to both Sven and Nick in the past), both have mobile versions (Android and iOS), Both support roughly the same set of dive computers that Subsurface supports.

Subsurface is a hobby project. A bunch of geeks who love to dive and who disliked the dive logs out there (initially it got started because there was nothing even remotely usable on Linux and Linus felt that he wanted something to run on his laptop). Over the last nine years it has grown quite a bit, it has a somewhat healthy developer community beyond myself and Linus, and has a fairly complete set of features. But it's a PROJECT. Which means some common ways of applying pressure to the people behind it might not work the way a company or user expects. Or may backfire. See first paragraph.

The best part about all this (from my perspective)? I don't care if you use Subsurface or another dive log. I'm happy to have users, I'm happy to support them (and generally Subsurface gets a lot of praise for being far better than the products in this space in supporting its users). But in the end, whether Subsurface has two thousand, twenty thousand, or two hundred thousand users - it really makes no difference to me

This should probably be split into another thread...

Wow, just wow! The devs of my favorite divelog software go into it with a reseller/manufacturer that I like (although I dislike their computer). I have so many mixed feelings on the issue. After reading it, I think this situation boils down to a simple failure to communicate. I don't even own the computer in question and knew that they were reselling someone else's equipment. This is because the company in question has posted that detail on scubaboard several times in the past.

I hope neither the company selling the computer nor subsurface are seriously set back as a result. Either would be a shame in my opinion.

Subsurface has an atrociously bad web interface. If you use our cloud storage (totally optional, works without it just fine), then you can look at your dive log at our cloud storage web site. And it's bad. It's so bad, it's funny. But the good news is that we have full bidirectional sync with divelogs.de and a great, supportive relationship with Rainer, the developer behind that website. Which gives you an outstanding web interface into exactly the same data that you can share between your mobile device and your desktop/laptop. And it's that integration with divelogs.de why we never bothered to improve our web interface because why should we even try to compete with Rainer?

thanks I will try that out. Do you know if there is a mechanism for the dive buddy to sign off on the logs?

MacDive does have a spot for DM/Instructor to sign (I assume on an ipad or phone)

And of course not responding well at all to a certain type of pressure they tried to put on me.
I'm afraid you made some erroneous assumptions about some of the pressure, which came from some jerks on SB who are "entitled." Kind of unfair to lay that on the mfg....which by the way DOES have original equipment, just not that computer. But, SB is proof that testosterone is stronger than facts.

deleted the post as I am tired of that side topic

I also looked at MacDive. I liked it, but I couldn’t find anything about it that I really liked more than Subsurface.

I tried Subsurface. I found the UI to be much less user friendly than MacDive, but that’s just me.

I like and use Subsurface. If I had a perdix I would give Shearwater cloud a shot.

I like and use Subsurface. If I had a perdix I would give Shearwater cloud a shot.
I have a Shearwater and have to say I have never fired up Shearwater cloud. I was already using Subsurface and decided to keep with it. No idea what extra bells and whistles Shearwater Cloud would give me but I'm happy where I am.

I have a Shearwater and have to say I have never fired up Shearwater cloud. I was already using Subsurface and decided to keep with it. No idea what extra bells and whistles Shearwater Cloud would give me but I'm happy where I am.
I use both. Ever since I started using Subsurface, I’ve been dual logging. First with Diverlog, now with SW Cloud. Usually upload to SW Cloud and Subsurface mobile apps during surface intervals. It’s more of a backup more than anything else.

But, there are a few things that SW Cloud offers that Subsurface can’t do. Update firmware, change startup text, change startup image, and update system time and date.

The time update is handy after a battery change, especially if the computer is off at the time. When off, the time is still tracked, but only saved every 5 minutes or so, so depending on when the save was done, time could be off. Not a huge problem, but easy enough to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom