Christmas in Coz with the Family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since we are super limited with where to go and how much I have to spend after almost a year with reduced salary, I am thinking of taking the family to Coz for the week of Christmas and New Years.

Our 17 year old son can suck an egg and do whatever he wants but our 5 year old daughter will need to be entertained. My wife, too. I, of course, have diving and just loving the place but if we stay in an airbnb in Centro or some place downtown, can anyone think of activities for the family?

We are not tourists, we are travelers and would revel in the opportunity to do community based things like volunteer or boogie in the plaza.

Has anyone done anything similar? What are our options?

Since we are super limited with where to go and how much I have to spend after almost a year with reduced salary, I am thinking of taking the family to Coz for the week of Christmas and New Years.

Our 17 year old son can suck an egg and do whatever he wants but our 5 year old daughter will need to be entertained. My wife, too. I, of course, have diving and just loving the place but if we stay in an airbnb in Centro or some place downtown, can anyone think of activities for the family?

We are not tourists, we are travelers and would revel in the opportunity to do community based things like volunteer or boogie in the plaza.

One thing you can depend on...Christmas in Cozumel will be different than previous years.

I just want to know if they're still going to have the flying monkeys.

Christmas week pricing is almost double the week prior!

We go to the Grand Occidental the week prior and there's plenty for the kids to do. They have an entertainment group that seems to keep the kids happy during the day. Each night, they offer performances on the resort.

As for the wife? They have a wonderful beach with sports activity..and free tequila....free everything!

We just dive and lay out on the beach..that works for us..

You might ask on Cozumel 4 You facebook page. There are many locals and ex-pats there and not so focused on scuba so you might get more ideas for cultural activities. Check out cozumelinsider.com and they outline many local activies.

For example, take your daughter to a Mexican locals playground like Airplane Park or Airport Road Park. Bring some English children's books then take your daughter to the local library to donate them and have her look at some colorful Spanish books while there. There's a Butterfly Sanctuary. Various environmental and eco attractions. Look for demos and behind-the-scenes visits for various trades and crafts. Take a cooking class. I think you'll find a lot of cultural things to do once you start digging.

Just booked for 12/22 through 01/05. Thank you for the suggestions. Definitely going to check out the parks and the other goodies.

There's an orphanage that you can visit and bring Christmas gifts, etc. if you like: Home - Ciudad de Angeles It's set up with multiple houses with each house having a married couple and a good bit of kids in each house. A really positive place, and good to visit with the whole family. You do need to set it up in advance.

I believe Waves of Grace Church (Iglesia Olas De Gracia - Waves of Grace Church ) often has service projects around Christmas time, and they have an English Christmas service/feast the day before Christmas Eve. I believe Ebenezer Church is the only church with an English service on Christmas, if that is of interest.

We've done a chocolate tour (Kaokao Chocolates Damarsicheli (Cozumel) - 2020 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - Tripadvisor) on a rainy day, which was pretty good for the whole family. I also like the ruins at San Gervasio -- not as big as the mainland ruins, but still a pretty good Mayan town of ruins (you can do a self-tour, and don't really need a guide, but do bring bug repellent, sunscreen, comfortable shoes, and extra water). I hear good things about the pearl farm, but haven't been there myself.

We had a place on VRBO booked for Christmas NewYrs. I just had the owner move the reservation for Xmas 21/22

So last year this was what we experienced, things could be very different. You will want to have dinner reservations for Christmas Eve lots of places close. Those that are open seem to do 2 seatings 6-8 and have a set menu.
After 10 town seems almost dead as everyone goes to family gatherings and presents are exchanged at midnight.
Christmas Day again lots of everything closed with some opening around 6 pm.
There was the carnival in the park, some music and food stands for a week or so prior to Christmas. Lots of decorating around town. But Christmas is very family oriented, we were very excited to be welcomed to our friends family Christmas in their home.
That made for a very special experience fir us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom