I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in Lady Lake safely inside from the Thunder/Lightening/Rain of Biblical Proportions. Hope your roof is finished!
By the way, the spring fed lake behind my Mom’s house is dwindling down. So do these little lakes need to be dredged of weeds to keep them from filling in and becoming swamps?

Hope your roof is finished!
It's dried in, meaning that the waterproof Gator Skin is on. I think we have a few of days of rain to cope with hopefully little to no wind. As of now, the rain has abated after dropping almost a third of an inch. The wind is at 0.2 mph with a gust up to 1.1 mph. Wednesday will see cooler, drier weather (down to 55F) which will be quite welcome.

Yeah. I don't like the idea of shingles at all.

It probably doesn't matter much in your part of the world but metal roofs coupled with ingress control of burning embers is a BIG DEAL on California... which is pretty smoky right now. There was a interesting discovery from the 1991 Oakland hills fire. A few houses survived the fire storm with almost no damage while most would be nothing but ash and masonry rubble.

The first assumption was the Spanish style architecture with red tile roofs and stucco made all the difference, until they realized that most of them went up like a matchsticks too. Somebody got satellite images after the wildfire passed but before most structures were on fire. Apparently the buildings burst into flames more than a hour later. Engineers determined that burning embers entered structures through vents and blown under shingles. Houses literally burned from the inside out.

It probably doesn't matter much in your part of the world but metal roofs coupled with ingress control of burning embers is a BIG DEAL on California... which is pretty smoky right now. There was a interesting discovery from the 1991 Oakland hills fire. A few houses survived the fire storm with almost no damage while most would be nothing but ash and masonry rubble.

The first assumption was the Spanish style architecture with red tile roofs and stucco made all the difference, until they realized that most of them went up like a matchsticks too. Somebody got satellite images after the wildfire passed but before most structures were on fire. Apparently the buildings burst into flames more than a hour later. Engineers determined that burning embers entered structures through vents and blown under shingles. Houses literally burned from the inside out.
Interesting...I recently had a new roof put on,and California code now demands even more vents on the roof !

Interesting...I recently had a new roof put on,and California code now demands even more vents on the roof !

In case you hadn't noticed, they also mandated all electric vehicles by 2035. I sincerely hope they can develop the power infrastructure by then, because right now, they can't provide power to their people as it stands. Here in Arizona, we run our air conditioners 24/7 for most of the year and never have rolling blackouts or power outages.

If you can't take care of the power demands for people in their homes for living comfortably, how can you mandate electric vehicles? It makes no sense. Although, this could simply be a play to keep Elon and Tesla in California instead of moving to another state. Politics I guess....

Very unusual around here, but my area had a serious hail and rain storm with sideways winds. Forcefully blew rain and hail which melted, of course, up underneath the shingles. I was away for a few hours and knew nothing of it until returning home. There was water in every light fixture even in the lowest level. Ceilings a disaster, etc. The reconstruction crew was here for over a week.

The increase in vents may be required for energy management and because there is more flow resistance in new vents that protect from flying embers. I opted for a SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) roof with metal roofing so no vents required (no attic space and no dead air space). All house ventilation is through metal screens at a single point farthest from the gulch we live on.

The increase in vents may be required for energy management and because there is more flow resistance in new vents that protect from flying embers. I opted for a SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) roof with metal roofing so no vents required (no attic space and no dead air space). All house ventilation is through metal screens at a single point farthest from the gulch we live on.

Gulch is a great word. I knew it but had to look it up. Word of the day for me. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom