Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds like the local powers are artificially coloring the status to attract more business. I've seen such fake news before. But then I haven't had faith in true reporting there all along.

It's no different than when we reopened - Federal had us red, state had us orange. What are the Feds using to judge color codes? I've never understood just like I don't understand where they get their "acceleration" numbers.

IMO, it's very safe here unless you're playing poker all night and getting lap dances.

IMO, it's very safe here unless you're playing poker all night and getting lap dances.

that was a fun night, thanks much!

:wink:

Does anyone here know, or know of, anyone who has gotten COVID-19 from visiting Cozumel or from flying?

Does anyone here know, or know of, anyone who has gotten COVID-19 from visiting Cozumel or from flying?
Probably would only know if they got Covid AFTER visiting Cozumel or flying.

Probably would only know if they got Covid AFTER visiting Cozumel or flying.

Why's that? Lots of people become symptomatic within a few days, mean is about 5. Lots of people stay more than a week. But ok then, those people that come down with covid right after getting back are surely going to blame it on Coz and talk about it, right? Where are those discussions?

Why's that? Lots of people become symptomatic within a few days, mean is about 5. Lots of people stay more than a week. But ok then, those people that come down with covid right after getting back are surely going to blame it on Coz and talk about it, right? Where are those discussions?
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, of course, but I am trying to assess the risk of making a Cozumel trip with my 92 year old mom who has been to Cozumel at least once a year since 1977 and who is desperate not to miss it in 2020. I'd be interested in evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that would give me an idea what the risks would be in being there and in getting there and back. Airports make me uneasy these days.

I'll let you know if I become symptomatic in the next 13 days, but I've been ok after a trip last month and this one. Here's a thought though. We were flying American, and their new policy for deplaning is to wait until the row in front of you has stood up and begun to leave before you stand up to get your stuff. If you're sitting in the back (row 31 for our first leg out of CZM), that means you're sitting quite a long time, with the air barely circulating (at least it sounded and felt that way at DFW), on a packed flight (no empty seats), shoulder to shoulder - in an attempt to 'improve social distancing during the deplaning process'? As we sat there we witnessed a mostly empty aisle from row 29 to the front of the plane, while we sat there waiting. Their 'fix' felt counterproductive. Also, there are inevitably a couple folks who don't listen, and as soon as the bell rings they see 'hey, there's nobody standing up' and they bolt up the aisle (total jerk move). I understand wanting to hurry when you have a tight connection (we got to our connecting gate as they were closing the doors and barely made it), but rude people ... ugh.

Also, flying into and out of Mexico you have to complete the paperwork that says you're healthy (no persistent cough, sneezing, fever, headache or sore throat) - but as we were sitting on the second leg of the fight (from DFW to STL) we heard several 'very productive coughs' around us. Could be seasonal allergies, 'smokers cough' or just plain old colds. I don't know. But I also don't know why they have us complete these written questionnaires saying we're 'healthy' - nobody collected them!! (We completed the ones online by using the QR code to access the questionnaire and they scanned the code after completion, and THEN made us fill out the paper questionnaire which nobody ever asked for!!).

As @ggunn said something like 'absence of evidence doesn't mean absence of occurrence' - but it will be interesting to see if anyone on this site reports getting COVID, related to a trip to Cozumel or after traveling by air (two separate variables, of course). 92 years old and really wants to go ... if I were the 92 year old, I'd suggest you take me! Assuming she's mentally strong, I think she gets to make the decision (but I know that might not be a popular choice).

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, of course, but I am trying to assess the risk of making a Cozumel trip with my 92 year old mom who has been to Cozumel at least once a year since 1977 and who is desperate not to miss it in 2020. I'd be interested in evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that would give me an idea what the risks would be in being there and in getting there and back. Airports make me uneasy these days.

Maybe not scientifically but it's probably the best you're going to get. I don't think anyone is testing all people who have been there to prove if they did or did not contract covid soon after. And even if they did test positive it would be hard to prove they contracted it in Coz versus the airport or just before/after their trip.

But in all likelihood, if something is a serious problem we would be seeing manifestations of that problem. I've seen dozens here and many more on fb who have been there and none reported covid right after a trip. I guess you're considering a trip now after previously all but ruling it out because you're seeing the same thing.

Personally I wouldn’t take my 92 yr old mother to the supermarket let alone on two flights and a vacation to Mexico. Talk about co-morbidity.
The pressure to go is coming from her.

Back
Top Bottom