I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off-Topic question for “El Chairman”...
How many more pages will this thread go on? Is there some sort of record you want to achieve ?
No disrespect,...just curious.

How many more pages will this thread go on?
I have no idea. I don't care about any records. It's an interactive blog of what I'm doing.

Rain, rain, rain, rain and more rain... Yesterday was the first day in over a month where we didn't have rain. However, Hurricane Sally is still dumping rain just to the north, which means the Suwannee will flood and cut off my swimming and diving. It sure has made my lawn look green!

upload_2020-9-19_5-51-45.png

Unfortunately, it has spawned mushrooms and mushroom spores as I've never experienced before. I got quite sick from it all and so has my sister. In fact, with her COPD the stress has been so much that she's had a mild heart attack from it and is in the hospital. I hope to have her back home on Monday. Anyway, the incessant rain has exposed a leak which my nephew is dealing with today. I would help, but I don't think I can yet. I'll be sure to get some ariel shots to show how it's coming along.

This whole episode and my sister's COPD has caused me to buy an air quality meter. It tests for pollution and mold (ppm) as well as a few other things like VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and gives you insight in how to deal with things. Wow. The inside air is incredibly good. Outside, the problem is not as bad as I thought, but like I said it was our first day without rain and things feel better all around.

... she's had a mild heart attack from it and is in the hospital......

Yikes,,Heal up fast !!
The "Fungus Among Us" has exploded down here in O-Town also and in the weirdest places including those with bright sunshine hitting it. But with such an active hurricane season, we have not had a direct hit in central/southern FLA which is amazing. Kinda makes you wonder what this winter is going to be like.......SNOW ???? ...... :acclaim:.......:stirpot:.....:outtahere:

Unfortunately, Hurricane Sally left her mark. The ceiling in the foyer collapsed from a roof leak. No, it couldn't blow my roof away giving me a claim... it just leaked. :(

full?d=1601211223.jpg

What a mess. I don't see any other leaks, but just patching the one area when I see valleys all over the roof just didn't make sense. I had been planning to do that this fall, but the roof and a willing nephew got it started. The initial goal was to get the leaking side of the roof replaced. I didn't want to keep any of the old sheathing, because I wanted a straightish roof. Jeff cleared the entire side of two layers of shingles with just a shovel. He really doesn't want me on the roof, so we got him the right tool, and I went and picked up his son. WHAT A COMBO! They got the first half done and water proofed with Gator Skin in about a day, just before we had another brief spate of rain on Friday. Yesterday, they were back on it and are almost ready to skin this side.

full?d=1601212625.jpg

The beginning

full?d=1601212625.jpg

Getting new sheathing down

full?d=1601212625.jpg

A birds eye view

full?d=1601208897.jpg

Working on the other side now...

full?d=1601208897.jpg

Some of the trusses have disintegrated...

full?d=1601208897.jpg

Two of the hardest working guys I know...

550711-82ff422c2902ab09d5bd5dbdae66024f.jpg

And the sheath goes on...

full?d=1601208897.jpg

A happy great nephew

full?d=1601208897.jpg

I added a gable fan to improve attic venting​

The tin is already here and so is the foam. I'll be adding a layer of foam between the tin and the roof. It will be sealed with tape and provide another water barrier as well as add some much-needed insulation. When they get the skin on, we'll be watertight and can take it a bit more slowly. This is good, as we're expecting rain @ 2:00 pm today and maybe more tomorrow.

Oh yeah... the rain has really made my lawn green up...

full?d=1601212625.jpg

Take it from someone who currently owns three homes, eight cottages, two barn/garages, and a few small out buildings!! you will be glad you did it all the right way and used metal for the roof! Some of my roofs are more than 30 years old and still tight. I'll never lay another shingle. Best of luck with the weather.

I'll never lay another shingle.
Yeah. I don't like the idea of shingles at all. It's like they're a virus you should be inoculated against. :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom