Struggling to Find Kidney Dump Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a bit of a rebel I will admit that I am willing to break trim more often than is acceptable here on Scubaboard.

With the normal string and dry gloves it didn’t feel right.
Removing the plastic end thingie and then put little knots in the string did wonders. The string gets shorter and stiffer that way. I have like a knot every centimeter.

I have limited mobility in my left shoulder due to a previous injury. I never use the kidney dump. I can’t. I’ve always used the inflator. I just roll to my right and hold the inflator up. Never an issue and don’t have to come out of trim by much. Since I’m not a cave diver nor wreck penetration diver it’s never an issue.

It's funny how things work out. I have a right butt dump and use it exclusively for all my gas dumping, I haven't used my inflator hose in many years. I reflexively roll, right butt up, and dump my gas. I can let out just a few bubbles or a whole load of gas, depending on the requirement. It is very easy to completely empty the bladder this way.

Being a bit of a rebel I will admit that I am willing to break trim more often than is acceptable here on Scubaboard.

SHAME HIM!!

Lol, I also break trim alot - A good piece of advice I was told when I first started diving was to occasionally look above me, because there might be something interesting. So I do, and see things like molas, cormorants, sea lions, etc.

Its not like anyone is dumping alot during a dive. A couple of tilt and dumps per dive is not a big deal for trim.

I do think its a good idea to use both the hose and the kidney dump, so that you dont get out of practice. And like the OP, I have difficulty locating the string sometimes, so its good to practice.

I think I like the knot suggestion above

It's funny how things work out. I have a right butt dump and use it exclusively for all my gas dumping, I haven't used my inflator hose in many years. I reflexively roll, right butt up, and dump my gas. I can let out just a few bubbles or a whole load of gas, depending on the requirement. It is very easy to completely empty the bladder this way.

I wish that you could get wings with either left or right kidney dump but outside of an expensive custom wing they all come on the left. If I had one on the right I would use it exclusively. I don't have mobility issues with my right shoulder like I do with my left so I would have no issues reaching a right kidney pull dump.

My Fundies instructor taught me that if you're having trouble finding the string, trace a finger around the edge of the dump valve - you'll eventually run into it and just need to bring over another finger to pinch/pull.

I wish that you could get wings with either left or right kidney dump but outside of an expensive custom wing they all come on the left. If I had one on the right I would use it exclusively. I don't have mobility issues with my right shoulder like I do with my left so I would have no issues reaching a right kidney pull dump.

What wing do you have? Dive Rite used to make travel wings with the dump on the right side. I have a spare one if you would like to trade

Depending on your comfort with DIY, you could use the generic flange from DGX to add one. Just takes cutting the whole in the shell and bladder and installing.
DGX Bladder Flange Assembly

Respectfully,

James

What wing do you have? Dive Rite used to make travel wings with the dump on the right side. I have a spare one if you would like to trade

Thank you for the offer but I’ll pass. I have a Halcyon #30 Eclipse & Light Monkey #28 both of which I like very much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom