Three missing off Jeju Island - South Korea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
3 Scuba Divers Missing in Waters off Jeju
Three scuba divers were reported missing in waters off Jeju Island.

Around 1:14 p.m. this Tuesday, the maritime police received a report that three people were missing near waters off Beom Island, in Seogwipo.

The report was filed by a captain of a fishing vessel who said he took two men from Seogwipo and a woman from Seoul out to sea around noon. However, they never came back out of the water.

Found um

Slooooooow link if you really want to read it. Jeju missing divers rescued the sausage in 3 hours

Basically found um in about 3 hrs. Was a 1 hr drift dive and the fishing boat couldn't find them. They were found about 6 km from where they dropped by civilian rescue when their SMB were spotted .

Diving around Seogwipo is actually really fun, and the after-dive sushi is as good as it gets.

Most divers use fishing boats to transport them out to small rock pinnacles just offshore. Typically you bring numerous tanks and lunch, and spend the day on these rock pinnacles. The water is cold, and there are deep walls (120+ feet) along the bases of the pinnacles.

Seogwipo
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

It may be great diving, but I'd hate to drift for even a couple of hours wondering where the boat is. At least it's not close to North Korea.

upload_2020-9-24_13-14-19.png

So you jump off the rock and get back on the boat? I like it :wink:
No.
Jump off the rock and climb back up the rock. There are ropes hanging down the rocks and you pull yourself up. The height varies from 1 to 4 feet depending on the tide.

Every now and then rogue waves will sweep through and wash everyone off the rock, so you have to keep your gear stored high and dry. I learned that through the school of hard knocks. One day a rogue wave swept all of our tanks and gear to the bottom of the channel here. We recovered everything. :)

I have traveled to Jeju a few times. I love Seoul and Jeju.

full.jpg

It may be great diving, but I'd hate to drift for even a couple of hours wondering where the boat is.
We are talking about fishing boats here, not professional dive charters.

No.
Jump off the rock and climb back up the rock. There are ropes hanging down the rocks and you pull yourself up. The height varies from 1 to 4 feet depending on the tide.

Every now and then rogue waves will sweep through and wash everyone off the rock, so you have to keep your gear stored high and dry. I learned that through the school of hard knocks. One day a rogue wave swept all of our tanks and gear to the bottom of the channel here. We recovered everything. :)

I have traveled to Jeju a few times. I love Seoul and Jeju.

View attachment 614158
LOL you almost lost me at "pull your self up" but then I reread 1-4' and thought I could do that. But the thought of rogue waves!. that's an adventure I would love to watch, but not do.

We are talking about fishing boats here, not professional dive charters.
Yes, I saw that. Whatever kind of boat, I'd like to see it on surfacing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom