Tell me about the Conshelf 14 regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are so easy to service that even I could do it.

This is what it looks like, if the picture comes through. It does actually say Conshelf 14. My local shop is an Aqualung dealer and I don't think they'd have a problem servicing it. I am looking for a first set of regs, and if I get something better in a few years I can use this as a backup.
upload_2020-9-23_6-58-39.png

This is what it looks like, if the picture comes through. It does actually say Conshelf 14. My local shop is an Aqualung dealer and I don't think they'd have a problem servicing it. I am looking for a first set of regs, and if I get something better in a few years I can use this as a backup.
View attachment 613892
Looks pretty good from the picture. As others have said, they should be supported for basically eternity. I use Conshelfs as one of my primary reg sets... They breathe better than any rental I've ever used. The entire Conshelf series is basically the same (with the main exception of the port layout). Right down to being parts interchangeable. As long as that set is as good as it looks from the image, that's a good price for a reg set that will still breathe great when you hand it down to grandkids. Only thing I'd do is swap the plastic octo for another metal Conshelf.... Because they're bulletproof and chrome looks great!
Respectfully,
James

I love my Conshelf XIV. Very easy to service yourself. I didn't know there was such a thing as a Conshelf 14 until a few weeks ago. If there is a side access port for adjusting the 2nd stage on the 14 it would be really handy for fine tuning (same with the Conshelf 20 albiet with plastic 2nd...)

The only thing about the older conshelfs was hose routing due to the port placement. I had one in close-to-perfect shape, it had not been rebuilt in several years, and it held IP perfectly when I got it. Those 1st stages are among the best, most reliably designed and copied 1st stages in history. The metal 2nd stages are also excellent, although I personally like the SP 109 more.

If I were looking at this regulator, I would just confirm that it has the normal (7/16") HP port and 4 LP ports. I sold my older one because there was no way I could comfortably rout hoses with the old configuration of 3 LP ports.

I can't really tell in that photo but it kind of looks like it's the older version. Someone else on this thread with more familiarity than I have might be able to tell for sure.

I can't really tell in that photo but it kind of looks like it's the older version. Someone else on this thread with more familiarity than I have might be able to tell for sure.
It looks like the 3 LP, 1 3/8 HP body. But it does have the 3/8 to 7/16 adapter on it, so that's covered. Use that port layout myself, and while the hose routing isn't perfect, it isn't bad at all in my opinion.

Respectfully,

James

I just heard back from the person and they said it is from 2014. I'll have to see when I can take a look at it.

Conshelfs are so reliable, there's a good chance it doesn't even need servicing. I'd bring a tank and an IP gauge and use @couv 's inspection checklist ( Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8) ).
IP gauge is only about $10 at DGX, and is a good investment to monitor your reg's condition anyway.

Respectfully,

James

I just heard back from the person and they said it is from 2014. I'll have to see when I can take a look at it.

The Conshelfs are rock solid regs and the metal first and second could easily outlast you if taken care of. HOWEVER, there is no way that is 2014 model. I am pretty sure I see an adapter on the HP hose at the first stage, that dates the first stage to the mid to late 60s. James above sees the same thing. The console dates it some as well. Other than needing an adapter for the 3/8 HP port there is nothing wrong with the model itself
If it's in good shape, with no internal damage, it's a great reg, easy to rebuild and performance wise, you will not find an overall better first stage. While not the best in the world, the second is a solid performer that you can depend on. That said, if you are being told it's a 2014 model, I would be careful, they may mean it was last serviced in 2014 which if fine or maybe they are BSing you. No way for me to tell but if they are not being honest with the age, what else are they not telling you.
Bottom line, the Conshelf series are great regs, easy to service, easy to find parts for and if taken care of, will last you a lifetime. I am diving USD double hoses from the early 60's that use the same internal parts as that reg that show no signs of stopping and can easily last another diver or 2 a lifetime of diving. Offer them $200, have it serviced and dive it. Take care of it and your grand kids can dive it too.

If it's in good shape, with no internal damage, it's a great reg, easy to rebuild and performance wise, you will not find an overall better first stage. While not the best in the world, the second is a solid performer that you can depend on. That said, if you are being told it's a 2014 model, I would be careful, they may mean it was last serviced in 2014 which if fine or maybe they are BSing you. No way for me to tell but if they are not being honest with the age, what else are they not telling you.

Well here's the rest of his stuff:
Scuba Equipment - sporting goods - by owner - sale
I sent him an email and asked how old it was and he wrote back 2014. In the ad it states new, never used.

I don't know anything about regs really, which is why I asked. I will have to check it out and see what they say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom