Removing paint from galvanized tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kensei

Master Fin Sharpener
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a galvanized steel tank that was painted. I want to remove the paint without damaging the original galvanized finish. Suggestions?

Paint stripper won't hurt the galvanize.

Depends on the paint used. Some paint can be removed with a simple solvent. Brake cleaner, acetone, etc.
Other paints could require blasting to get clean, and that will take the galv coating off as well.

Any idea what the paint is?

I have a galvanized steel tank that was painted. I want to remove the paint without damaging the original galvanized finish. Suggestions?
The citrus strippers work pretty good but do it outside while its warm out. They wont work in winter. No harm to the underlying galvanizing.

BUT if this is a painted faber with underlying spray galvanizing - do not strip it your homegrown paint will never be as good as that epoxy.

Depends on the paint used. Some paint can be removed with a simple solvent. Brake cleaner, acetone, etc.
Other paints could require blasting to get clean, and that will take the galv coating off as well.

Any idea what the paint is?

I have no idea. I bought it used and the person I bought it from wasn't the one who painted it.

The citrus strippers work pretty good but do it outside while its warm out. They wont work in winter. No harm to the underlying galvanizing.

BUT if this is a painted faber with underlying spray galvanizing - do not strip it your homegrown paint will never be as good as that epoxy.

It's an older 7/8" neck, DIN only, 3500 psi. I believe it's a Worthington since it has the TC marking.

It's an older 7/8" neck, DIN only, 3500 psi. I believe it's a Worthington since it has the TC marking.
Yeah those are hot dipped. Strip away with the citri strip stuff on a hot day and you're good

Highly reccomend you this solvent: Dimethyl sulfoxide - Wikipedia
I`d used it to remove paint from hot water pipes in my bath, before new painting it.
Also it is only single solvent for Superglue (Cyanoacrylate) Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia

How to use for paint remove:
- take any kind of Nonwoven fabric - Wikipedia .
- take Stretch wrap - Wikipedia
- Buy DMSO, e.g. here https://www.amazon.com/DMSO-99-9-Pharma-grade-Heiltropfen/dp/B01GBELE7G or in the any pharmacy
- USE surgery GLOVES!
- close valve on the tank! Also you can cover it by stretch wrap.
- Fill rugs with DMSO, till it leaks.
- Tape all painted surface up by this rugs.
- Tape up whole tank by stretch wrap.
- Put the tank in to hot place around 30-40 deg C (86-104 F) for 1-3 hrs. You can stay it even in more cold place, but it takes more time.
- remove all films and rugs.
- take plastic pallet knife and remove all non peeled parts of paintings.
- wash the tank by hot water (outside! hope, tank valve still closed :) )
(repeat from beginning, if neccessary)

It will looks like here
plastic.jpg

Regular paint stripper works fine. I think the main ingredient is methylene chloride. Sometimes the can will say 'aircraft paint stripper, aluminum safe' or something like that. It works great and will not attack the galvanized base unless you leave it on for a really long time. On my old 72s (pst) I used it to take the paint off, then beefed up the galvanized finish with ZRC galvilite. It worked really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom