PADI laying off staff and maintaining fees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What PADI Pro member wouldn’t be incredibly interested and concerned about the profitability of PADI corporate? After all, PADI profits help us all right? I love that annual PADI profit sharing bonus.

If you’d like I can dig up the letter from Drew where he says that he is laying off staff and maintaining member pricing to maintain profitability if you’d like...
Yes, please, I browsed around on their blog and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Yes, please, I browsed around on their blog and couldn't find anything. Thanks!
I hope this message finds you and your loved ones in good health and spirits. Like you, I am a proud PADI Member and have been so for many decades. Also like you, I have been putting on my mask and diving locally for the past few months – reconnecting with the wonders of exploring high altitude alpine lakes, visiting the reefs and animals in the surrounding Pacific Ocean, and even diving in a local farm pond. As a community, I’m sure you agree that local diving and local diver training have helped pull us all through these difficult days of isolation, downturn and inability to travel to faraway destinations.
As CEO of PADI, I am focused on the future because that is where we will be spending our time going forward. I am proud to lead an international team of professionals who daily commit to doubling down on membership programming and support during this pandemic to ensure your survival. Your ongoing membership support is highly valued and crucial to secure the ongoing recovery of the dive industry in 2020-21.
I have just approved a 2021 Membership Renewal plan for all PADI Members. My plan is simple and straightforward:There will be no price increase on annual PADI Membership dues for members renewed by 31 December 2020A no-fee, no-interest payment option for 2021 PADI Membership renewal is available – 25% of membership required initially, with the balance not due until March 2021All 2020 buying levels will be honored into 2021There will be no price increase on PADI training materials or merchandise through at least 1 April 202121 FREE digital learning codes will be issued for every PADI Instructor renewing for 2021, and 19 FREE digital learning codes will be issued for every PADI Assistant Instructor and Divemaster renewing for 2021 for your own personal libraryA PADI Gear gift voucher will be issued for all PADI Members renewed by 31 December 2020 for 2021There will be no reduction in the benefits you have come to expect as a member of the world’s largest diver membership organizationThe PADI staff in your region will communicate details about this unique 2021 PADI Membership renewal plan in the coming weeksAs a valued PADI Member, you provide the world’s premier dive brand experience. Your PADI Membership distinguishes you from members of all other organizations, more than triples your job opportunities worldwide, and gives you 75 percent more teaching and certification opportunities. It establishes you as a skilled and trusted leader, dive educator and mentor, guiding divers to confidently explore and protect our water planet.
Thank you for your ongoing support as a PADI Member. The PADI organization needs your support, and in exchange we look forward to working together and supporting your professional membership in 2021.
Sincerely,
Drew Richardson
PADI CEO and President

Ugh. That letter is so chock full of pandering and corporate mumbo jumbo that I almost want to take back my previous post.

Then there is the latest email that has this gem in it:

"While other organizations are using the pandemic as the time to focus their efforts on cannibalistic crossover attempts to lure members away, PADI’s leadership focus is driving market recovery, growing the customer base for the industry, and creating jobs and stability for PADI Members on the road ahead.

This pandemic has been hard on everyone. There is plenty of negativity, hate and anger to engage in all around us in life, and unfortunately that includes the dive industry. The PADI organization won’t waste time and resources on these, but instead continue to allocate resources to drive industry recovery for PADI-affiliated Pro, Retail and Resort Members as quickly as this pandemic allows. Those who are constructive, adaptive and positive will advance as the surviving population, and that is the guiding philosophy for the PADI organization’s recovery strategy. "

The bold is directly from the email. As a PADI member (and also a RAID member) this infuriated me. You bash others for their "cannibalistic crossover attempts" and then go one to state PADI won't waste time with negativity, hate and anger....which they just did.

I am not a fan of bashing any agency and feel it is better to promote diving in general rather agency specific. When the CEO lashes out like that, it troubles me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom