Boat Capsizes - Boynton Inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wondering if going out in waves so high that the captain can’t see beyond the next crest is normal. It could have been something larger than surfers, like a returning jet ski or boat hidden by the wave.

Check out some of the videos of boats departing that inlet on YouTube. I don’t know if it’s a normal move, but it’s definitely not that infrequent. Some of the boats getting thrown around by the waves aren’t small either...40’+.

Check out some of the videos of boats departing that inlet on YouTube. I don’t know if it’s a normal move, but it’s definitely not that infrequent. Some of the boats getting thrown around by the waves aren’t small either...40’+.

It’s a dicy inlet especially in a major NE swell. This swell was from Hurricane Teddy out near Bermuda. IF you can get past the surf break and it’s ‘only’ a swell vs wind chop it’s manageable once you’re off shore. As @cerich mentioned getting back in is worse. You’ve got to take that into account before heading out. The dive boats do. I’ve had them cancel on me multiple times when technically it’s diveable but they either can’t get out of the inlet or more common can’t safely get back in.

The reason they use this inlet, for those that aren't familiar with the area, is that there are awesome reefs just off shore and south of this location. Some of the best reefs in SEFL with incredible fish life, nice relief, and lots of turtles in nesting season. Also this is the closest inlet to dive the Castor. These reefs and the Castor are worth the hassle of using this inlet.

Watch some videos of haulover inlet down in Miami if you want some real "entertainment"...

I recently posted this on another thread but think that it is pertinent to this one too.
I have only recently been made aware of the “Haulover Daily” site on You Tube. I took a quick look at some of the trials and missteps made by boaters navigating the inlet, and a little bit of that sort of video goes a long way: I cannot imagine that I’ll have any burning desire to visit that website again.

During my recent passages thru the inlet, I’ve noticed a few folks arrayed along the jetty on the south side of the channel who’ve been equipped with cameras on tripods, so I presume that these are the people responsible for the You Tube content.

Haulover is not the most harrowing inlet to navigate that I know of in SE Florida, but it can be challenging, (particularly during high flow on an outgoing tide,) for inexperienced boat drivers, the unwary, uninformed, unobservant, intoxicated, or those cursed by paralyzing stupidity.

Watch some videos of haulover inlet down in Miami if you want some real "entertainment"...

Right or wrong...what I get out of watching some of the videos is that as with a lot of things...once you’ve decided on a course of action, you need to commit to it. Even with some of the larger boat operators having difficulty... they seem like they’re doing ok until they back off the throttle and let the boat wallow.

Right or wrong...what I get out of watching some of the videos is that as with a lot of things...once you’ve decided on a course of action, you need to commit to it. Even with some of the larger boat operators having difficulty... they seem like they’re doing ok until they back off the throttle and let the boat wallow.
Yup.

Inlets are challenging no matter when you go through them. I'm no expert, I think many folks, especially down here, buy a watercraft and think it's just hop in and out you go... It's not.

I just saw the surfers on a second watch after comment above..looked like no good choice...

That sucks.

He likely made the best decision he could have at the moment with the surfers possibly in his path, but the best choice would have been to leave boating for another day..

Destin inlet can get pretty bad with an out going tide and a south wind. I have run it many times. You can sit off to the side and watch the sets then pick when you want to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom