Diving in Hong Kong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris_D

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's a look at diving in Hong Kong from the July 2020 edition of The Correspondent (PDF, 3MB), the official publication of the Foreign Correspondents' Club, Hong Kong. [An extended version of the story, with links and maps, is here.]

Very informative. Do you know what diving is like in Shenzhen?

Very informative. Do you know what diving is like in Shenzhen?
I'm glad you enjoyed the article.

Unfortunately, I've never dived in Shenzhen. But if the diving in the extreme north east part of Hong Kong is any indication, it could be excellent, especially if you were in blue water.

Well written glimpse at the modern Hong Kong diving
community

I am disappointed that the author did not mention or give any credit to the herculean efforts expended by the Lieu brothers in establishing diving in Hong Kong.

Dive history and those who shaped it is like all areas in the world being ignored and all too soon lost forever.

Samuel Miller, III

I am disappointed that the author did not mention or give any credit to the herculean efforts expended by the Lieu brothers in establishing diving in Hong Kong.
I am pretty sure one of the brother died with his boot on while conducting scuba class in one of the local International School many yrs ago.
Could be wrong though because my memory is not that great nowadays.
Bunn's diving is still around.

@Centrals
I am pretty sure one of the brother died with his boot on while conducting scuba class in one of the local International School many yrs ago.
Could be wrong though because my memory is not that great nowadays.
Bunn's diving is still around.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There were three brothers
1) Bunny who established first dive operation in HK, Bunns

Do to very expensive HK import duties developed the very fine' very rugged
Bunns double hose regulator. I was informed by Dick Bonin in a casual conversation that when he and Gus established SCUBA Pro that they seriously consider the Bunns regulator, but decided on single hose.
The Bunns regulator was later marketed in the UK as a Typhon regulator
I suspect there are still a few Bunns regulators kicking around in HK

2) Billy

3) Kitty aka Kit
He was, as I call the eldest brother who assumed control of the Bunns operation ,

Just a little history from an interested but long time detached Kalifornian

S

@Centrals

Good for him !
If he ever wants to part with it or you run across another one
E mail me ASAP
I have always had a soft spot in my heart for HK & the lieu family
A Bunns regulator would be a heirloom for me and my family
Sam

Yesterday, I enjoyed my first dive in Hong Kong waters in nearly six months. The water was cool, but the viz was exceptional -- up to 10m at points.
2022-04-23 Sam Mun Tsai UW - 042.jpg

Back
Top Bottom