Tucker Tower Lake Murray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be diving the Tucker Tower area of Lake Murray this weekend,,,any suggestions on points of entry and specf. dive site data,,,,have never dove this part of the lake.

Negative: I took my NAUI AOW deep dive there, which the *discounted* instructors combined with a boat dive. Depth was 60 feet plus .5 inch. Visibility was so bad that when called upon to perform the possibly-narced arithmetic, I had to call for more light on my whiteboard, not because I was narced, but because it was so silty. Thereafter, the arithmetic proved right. We had descended vertically until the 60' mark, at which point we had to cling to the cable to avoid sliding horizontally, and to avoid silting the situation further.

The only reason you should be going there, TexDiveGuy, as an authoritative person of respect in the N. Tx. dive community and as a Scubaboard veteran, is from curiosity. Thereafter, you will be able to assure others that it's a poor choice for AOW divers.

Yep ... he's correct. The seeing underwater near the Tucker Tower is not the best visibility at the lake that is for sure, but we have encountered worse there at Lake Murray... (The Crab Trap for instance) The Tower is an interesting little tourist spot at the lake and worth the 25 cents to hike to the top.
There is a pier near the Tower that works as a entry point for diving but the exit is a bit harder as there really is not a easy way to get back out except to climb the rocky bank. Again, we've done worse, like the entry and exit that we had to rope up and do on the other side of the lake a couple of months ago.
An enteresting side note is that there are old "Bootleggers" caves that are in the cliff under the Tucker Tower. ( or so the story goes) I have found one such "cave". I didn't go too far inside because I was by myself and did not have a cave line. It was 'kinda spooky and cool.
I posted up a couple of photos on my ScubaBoard-Gallery of the Tower and the Pier if you want to see.

With the water level the way it is I'd say that Marrietta Landing is probably going to be the best bet Sunday. I would like the visit the Tower though and look around. :14:

Maybe we can locate that Airplane this time !!!

WaterWayne,,,I think I better read your post again to get the full impact of your advise...and I 'believe you' as I have heard it is not the best,,,,but I am a diver who enjoys the challeneges of entry and exit....donning and doffing....not seeing your own dive light beam cause of silt backwash....chilly waters....this is the stuff that keeps me diving these N.Tx. inland water during our winter time!! Hey,, really thanks for your info. on the site.

Timeliner--- See you at the usual spot Sn. at 9:30amish,,,,lets go on your suggestion and site see the Tower, and dive M. Landing.....PS-will have a non-diver buddy tagging along, he wanted to visit the lake,never been there before he says.

'Sounds like a go Alan. Give me a shout if anything comes up.

I dove this site on 9-19-2020. We didn't go down to 60' though I would have liked to but we didn't have sufficient torch light for super low visibility that was talked about in earlier threads. We dove down 25' and cruised along the bluffs with 4-6 foot visibility. There were all kinds of cracks and holes and over hangs that were very interesting and made me regret we didn't try to go deeper to test the visibility. I actually was expecting to drop down to 20 or 25 and expected to hit bottom and maybe follow it down till visibility got bad but it was still a wall drop. Eventually as we came around the point the visibility opened up to the six foot maybe 8 and we encountered some fish and more interesting topography.

I will definitely dive this site again but bring more light. I think it will be worth it. We found fishing lures and a pair of sunglasses

Of course you realize this thread is 14 years old, right? :)

Of course you realize this thread is 14 years old, right? :)
yes sir but people wonder about this area today so if people do a search for it. They may find this helpful. I am not sure how much people check here. Seems like facebook groups are a quicker way to connect with more local groups.

Lewis,
Let me know the next time you plan on going to Murray. I'm up for exploring a bit.

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom