Is dive certification really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually accidents characterized as people "going beyond their training" involve people making high-risk dives -- caves, deco, rebreather, wreck penetration -- not someone going to 101 feet without taking the deep specialty.
Is that what you're seeing in Lessons for Life-- accidents blamed on people going to 101 feet without a deep cert? I haven't seen anything like that.

One on one instruction, coaching or whatever you want to call it diving in local lakes and conditions. I may have poorly worded my original question a few weeks ago, but a private "coach" would be ideal for what I'm looking for.
It sounds like you would be looking for a club like BSAC, that doesn’t really have traction in the US. Alternatively, there are private instructors that promise training with no guarantee of certification that charge by time. Jim Lapenta, Ryan Custureri, and Landon Lasseter are some examples that are members of this board. I’m sure you could hire an instructor under the guise of a relevant specialty, work with him or her on specific skills covered by that course curriculum that you wanted to improve, such that they were covered by liability insurance. I would have a frank discussion ahead of time that you don’t have an expectation of certification so that you don’t waste time on other parts of the curriculum that you aren’t interested in.

One on one instruction, coaching or whatever you want to call it diving in local lakes and conditions. I may have poorly worded my original question a few weeks ago, but a private "coach" would be ideal for what I'm looking for.
You had problems finding one or the cost was too high?

You had problems finding one or the cost was too high?

I posed the question before looking and I inferred the general conclusion was that it wasn't likely or possible, so I never pursued it. I will revisit it based on @Jcp2 post above. That is the situation I'm looking for locally.

I posed the question before looking and I inferred the general conclusion was that it wasn't likely or possible, so I never pursued it. I will revisit it based on @Jcp2 post above. That is the situation I'm looking for locally.
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. In my area, people get private lessons at shops from time to time. It isn't as common as group classes. I googled for shops in Tucson and got 3 hit. I'd be surprised if any of those won't provide private instruction.

Am I just obtuse and not getting it? It has been a rough Monday.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. In my area, people get private lessons at shops from time to time. It isn't as common as group classes. I googled for shops in Tucson and got 3 hit. I'd be surprised if any of those won't provide private instruction.

Am I just obtuse and not getting it? It has been a rough Monday.

You're not obtuse lol. I simply was thinking about what I wanted and asked here before I even checked with any shops. Again, it seemed to be something that was unlikely, so I ditched the idea and never asked my dive shop. I'm going to ask my shop about it to see if it's a possibility for them.

Here's a perfect example as of now. I was scheduled for my refresher course 9/19, but because of an ear infection, my doctor said to skip it. The next class in October is on the day of a fishing tournament, so now I'm looking at November, which may also conflict with my schedule. Since the refresher class is only once per month, I'm possibly looking at December to do 4 hours of pool work. I'm willing to pay for private instruction.

In addition to the scheduling component, I prefer one on one coaching or lessons. Whether it's golf or anything else, I don't like group teaching. If I can get private instruction or coaching, that would be ideal.

Lots of instructors will give private sessions on anything you want, just as a golf instructor will. They just charge a whole lot less.

...When I read your post I thought: He's a little butt-hurt!
90D3938F-39E5-44F7-9625-FBCF4ECCE6D8.jpeg

I am sure that the people who founded NAUI and led them through those first decades simply don't have your knowledge of the way things were then. They should have contacted you for confirmation before publishing incorrect opinions like that.
You really think that the people who founded NAUI were worse divers than the average new OW diver? Really?

boulderjohn:
  1. Brand new OW students taught while neutrally buoyant easily learn to do the basic skills that way. It isn't hard for them at all.
  1. ******************************************************************************Old subject, but --Of course you must mean that you have the same % of students that will have trouble with some skills taught neutrally as you will with those taught kneeling. Obviously everyone taught neutrally doesn't easily learn to do every skill. Some skills will be hard for some people regardless of how they're taught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom