Rough inhalation SP balanced/adjustable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the "click -> woosh" has been the ongoing symptom with the modern s-wing swap in on an old set of feet (sometimes). I'm curious what else can cause what I am interpreting as the same thing in your recent experience...

The exhaust valve was not evenly positioned on the spider or slightly damaged, so it took a certain amount of vacuum to close it and initiate the inhale flow.......

No, but in a related issue, the exhaust valve on this reg wasn't sealing well and it was breathing wet. I fixed that at the same time.

I expected the answer to the original problem to be something in the lever, and when I took it apart, the lever was one of the newer ones and the poppet looked fine, everything appeared to be lining up and working perfectly. The problem was that the diaphragm is starting to decay and get a little sticky, especially when its a bit dirty and wet. It was slightly sticking to the rubber purge cover until enough vacuum pulled it away. Not with salt residue like they can if they've been sitting for a while and were not soaked well before storage. This was just sort of a filmy, slightly sticky feeling. So I just cleaned it thoroughly with dish soap and warm water and it worked fine the next day. But definitely I'll be replacing that diaphragm before the next trip.

I never had a diaphragm wear out in this way before. It's still supple but you can tell the silicone is breaking down.

Crud I should’ve got that I had a sticky diaphragm Not that long ago with an eBay purchase.

The problem is that the diaphragm is starting to decay and get a little sticky, especially when its a bit dirty and wet. It was probably slightly sticking to the rubber purge cover until enough vacuum pulled it away.

Well, I guess I nailed it after all. Go back and have a look at post #5

Since folks are jumping in, and you say it was "mostly fixed" the next day...
1) since you're @halocline, I'll guess it WASN'T a catching lever. You would have filed the lever square hole on restoring the reg, so
2) a grain of sand stuck between the poppet shaft and balance chamber, as @cerich suggested. It's "mostly fixed" because there's still another tiny grain stuck in the lube that's still catching the oring occasionally.

Sorry folks, better luck next time.

Well, I guess I nailed it after all. Go back and have a look at post #5

Holy crap, I totally missed that. Yep, you nailed it Couv! Even the wording in our description is close to the same. How about that....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom