Dive report Woods Holes Harbor Woods Hole Ma.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before the dive @formernuke and I had some time to kill, we were standing on the path across the street from Nobska Light and were commenting on the striking difference in water color the tide was bringing thru Woods Hole into Vineyard sound, now after the dive it hit me that maybe there was some dredging or something happening on the Buzzards Bay side to stir up the muck. I been to Nobska many times but never saw that colored water current effect. have dove there at water front park a hand full of times and that was the worse visibility ever there. It was still a good dive with good divers!

If you remember I commented the water at the ramp near the aquarium looked much clearer and cleaner than where we dove just a few hundred yards away. Mrs.AD and I where watching bait fish swimming at least a few feet underwater. To see the fish during dive it was inches away. I was surprised they stayed and didn't scatter before we got close enough to see 'em. But it was a good day that ended with a nice lunch with new friends that are good divers!

If you remember I commented the water at the ramp near the aquarium looked much clearer and cleaner than where we dove just a few hundred yards away. Mrs.AD and I where watching bait fish swimming at least a few feet underwater. To see the fish during dive it was inches away. I was surprised they stayed and didn't scatter before we got close enough to see 'em. But it was a good day that ended with a nice lunch with new friends that are good divers!

Yup a very good day.

I would love to get a bit more info on the dive spot with the old bottles, on the attached chart where "Hadley Harbor" is shown, maybe the locals call it Naushon Harbor, is this the spot you refered to? I'll bring my Grady there and explore, looks like the area N.E. of Bull Island would be a good place to anchor, shouldn't be much boat traffic, is this a slack tide only spot?

In the upper right hand corner of the chart shows a couple wrecks east of Ram I.(barley negible) that is on my todo list, @tursiops have you dove there?
Yes, Hadley. Don't remember about the tides, but slack is always good! The only wreck we dived was the Nobska, in Buzzards Bay. It was carrying pharmaceuticals, lots of little bottles to search for.

I would love to get a bit more info on the dive spot with the old bottles, on the attached chart where "Hadley Harbor" is shown, maybe the locals call it Naushon Harbor, is this the spot you refered to? I'll bring my Grady there and explore, looks like the area N.E. of Bull Island would be a good place to anchor, shouldn't be much boat traffic, is this a slack tide only spot?

In the upper right hand corner of the chart shows a couple wrecks east of Ram I.(barley legible) that is on my todo list, @tursiops have you dove there?

Anywhere north of the channel into hadley's harbor is fine to anchor. Lots of eelgrass. Not alot of current as long as you're closer to hadley's than the hole itself. The corner going into BB the tide will be blasting there.

Anywhere north of the channel into hadley's harbor is fine to anchor. Lots of eelgrass. Not alot of current as long as you're closer to hadley's than the hole itself. The corner going into BB the tide will be blasting there.
Excellent! This is now on my list! It's good to have a number of sheltered dive spots near Vineyard Sound, so after a wreck dive(like maybe Ardandhu) is done at slack the second tank can be done in the sheltered spot.
I'm looking at the Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book, it has charts with current velocities at various times, such as 3 hours after ebb or 3 hours after flood tides(these are about max) but it has no info for Hadley's Harbor

Excellent! This is now on my list! It's good to have a number of sheltered dive spots near Vineyard Sound, so after a wreck dive(like maybe Ardandhu) is done at slack the second tank can be done in the sheltered spot.
I'm looking at the Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book, it has charts with current velocities at various times, such as 3 hours after ebb or 3 hours after flood tides(these are about max) but it has no info for Hadley's Harbor

Between Tarpaulin Cove and French Watering Hole should be an interesting spot. There's also a broken up schooner around there.

Sow and Pigs at slack, Devil's Bridge at slack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom