Dive report Woods Holes Harbor Woods Hole Ma.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dive 2096 Sat. 9-19-2020 Woods Hole Harbor Woods Hole MA Buddies @DanSinks @formernuke

A cool sunny day N winds, easy entry 6 stairs to a sandy beach, mostly small pebble bottom, vis none max depth 44FSW Bot temp 66F BT 38min. Didn't see anything but the yellow tips of Dan's fins. Dan found several items an old bottle among the finds. I don't know how he found it I could barely see the end of my light beam.

@AfterDark there was some VIS. I could see either you or @DanSinks up to about 6 inches away.

I did spot a lot of little fish looking at us.

Either not both at the same time. I did see some small fish...I think. :wink:

Where did you actually enter? Off Water St? i used to work at Wood Hole Oceanographic and we dived a fair amount around there, including under the WHOI dock. Spooky. The best diving was Naushon harbor; lots of old bottles in the muck. But not a shore dive from the mainland!

Where did you actually enter? Off Water St? i used to work at Wood Hole Oceanographic and we dived a fair amount around there, including under the WHOI dock. Spooky. The best diving was Naushon harbor; lots of old bottles in the muck. But not a shore dive from the mainland!

Yes the Water Front Park on Water St. The stairs not too far from the statue of Rachel Carson.

Still a really fun and good day. I was happy to break my 2.5 week surface interval with you guys.

And let's be honest, I've dove worse VIS, not by much though.

A day that includes a dive is far better than any day that doesn't. @formernuke, looks like wed. is a wash 5-7' seas Mon and Tues the vis will be like Sat for awhile. IMO we should shoot for the weekend. We could go to the range this week instead if you'd like, bust some caps.

Before the dive @formernuke and I had some time to kill, we were standing on the path across the street from Nobska Light and were commenting on the striking difference in water color the tide was bringing thru Woods Hole into Vineyard sound, now after the dive it hit me that maybe there was some dredging or something happening on the Buzzards Bay side to stir up the muck. I've been to Nobska many times but never saw that colored water current effect. have dove there at water front park a hand full of times and that was the worse visibility ever there. It was still a good dive with good divers!

A day that includes a dive is far better than any day that doesn't. @formernuke, looks like wed. is a wash 5-7' seas Mon and Tues the vis will be like Sat for awhile. IMO we should shoot for the weekend. We could go to the range this week instead if you'd like, bust some caps.

Sunday afternoon after I drop off mini me for s dive?

I would love to get a bit more info on the dive spot with the old bottles, on the attached chart where "Hadley Harbor" is shown, maybe the locals call it Naushon Harbor, is this the spot you refered to? I'll bring my Grady there and explore, looks like the area N.E. of Bull Island would be a good place to anchor, shouldn't be much boat traffic, is this a slack tide only spot?

In the upper right hand corner of the chart shows a couple wrecks east of Ram I.(barley legible) that is on my todo list, @tursiops have you dove there?

Attachments

• hadley_harbor_woods_hole_chart_01.jpg
    hadley_harbor_woods_hole_chart_01.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 72
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom