Compass Preference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stand alone colour compass.

OK I'll bite. What color/combination of colors compass is your preference. Or, will there be an assortment to match your variety of second stage regulators pigmentation?

Hi everyone -

I am a new diver (July 2020, 10 dives in) alongside my 12 year old daughter and we need to add a compass to our bag. Are there any recommendations? Does anyone have advice on the placement - Wrist, Hose, Retractable, or add on to my computer console (we dive AL i550c and i300c)?

Anything more cost effective than others? As a quick fix I was looking at the Edge Sport compass.

Thanks,
Matt
To answer the original question, I had an Auqalung compass mounted to my i550 and I really didn't like it. I was constantly pulling the console out to check a quick heading. The bungee mount is more work on the surface (you really, really have to remember to bring it and put it on, plus you need to take it off before your wetsuit), but it's much, much easier to use and read underwater. The Aqualung is really bright white, with bold numbers. Never had the slightest problem reading it. 3 years and still performs great.

Any variant out there that isn’t designed for side viewing, and hence has degree markings that are not 180 degrees out of phase when viewed from above?

Any variant out there that isn’t designed for side viewing, and hence has degree markings that are not 180 degrees out of phase when viewed from above?

Yes, there are plenty of top reading compasses. Ikelite, Farallon, Oceanic, Suunto, and others have top reading models (many probably made by Suunto based on the design and markings.) Some are direct reading some are indirect reading. Here are a couple of top-direct reading compasses.

compasses top direct reading.jpg

I wish more compasses were direct read.

OK I'll bite. What color/combination of colors compass is your preference. Or, will there be an assortment to match your variety of second stage regulators pigmentation?

I mean full colour screen digital compass but in a standard type housing.

If you want to watch TV stay at home!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom