Drysuit noob questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Zef, just to be sure, you are talking about these gloves

Showa 720 Nitrile Glove Gael Force Marine

right?

(I already have the Hestra Heavy Merino to use as liners)[/QUOTE]

Yes, those are the ones.....they fit a little snugger but are more elastic and relax a bit with use. They also have better cut and tear ratings, and the nitrile material does not become as stiff as the PVC type gloves when used in cold water which is good for dexterity.

The rolock 90 system that came out not too long ago is designed to work with the si-tech qcs oval cuff system' PU ring, your cuff system will not directly integrate with it. I dont know about the older rolock system though.

If you want to lose the bulk you will need to replace the QCP cuff system in your suit. That is an expensive hassle for a brand new suit. The glove lock system does not add much additional bulk to it....and its benefit will outweigh the inconvenience. If asked before purchasing, I think folks would probably advised to steer towards the oval system as there are more glove system products available for it...but your system should work fine. My wife would be diving it if the used suit she bought from a scuba board member fit her correctly....instead she went with a custom suit with the oval cuff sytem and the virgo dry glove system which is nearly identical to the glove lock system....they reverse the parts and instead of the bayonet locking ring being on the glove ring, with the virgo it is on the cuff side, this means she would be diving with the bulk of the ring even when not using dry gloves....this bothered her because she is a small woman (155.5cm tall). We bought her the 4th ellement ellipse system to test out and she did not like them even though they are very low profile....in the end we traded her ellipse system with scuba board member for a set of waterproof ultima dgs.

We use the showa 720 fairly exclusivley.

-Z

If you have the oval sitech cuff rings then you can use the rolock 90 system.

However, if you already have the regular sitech round rings you can do this:

Rolock dry glove system modification.

Nice mod video. Does it cut away or preserve the bayonet part that the glove lock system hooks on to?

The only part that is used are the round polyurethane (PU) cuffs that are permanently attached to the suit cuffs. The bayonet part of the glove lock system is detached from the PU cuffs. The part that you trim down is the PU cuff.

The only part that is used are the round polyurethane (PU) cuffs that are permanently attached to the suit cuffs. The bayonet part of the glove lock system is detached from the PU cuffs. The part that you trim down is the PU cuff.

Right right...i forgot the bayonet groove/boss was on the rigid ring tjat sandwiches the seal with the PU ring. My wife's ild suit us put away and I was too lazy to go out to the garage to check it out. Thanks.

-Z

The disclaimer at the end scared me, i have to admit :p

I think from the reviews i read i prefer the rolock 90 system. I am a bit concerned though of how correctly i will do it.
Also there is no shop in DK selling them :/

The disclaimer at the end scared me, i have to admit :p

I think from the reviews i read i prefer the rolock 90 system. I am a bit concerned though of how correctly i will do it.
Also there is no shop in DK selling them :/

Preference, availability, or not, the Rolock 90 system is not designed to integrate with your cuff rings, the system is designed to integrate with the cuff rings from the Si-Tech QCS oval system. For you to use a Rolock system you would need the Rolock 3 system and would need to modify your cuff rings as explained in the video posted above.

-Z

We put a disclaimer at the end of all those types of videos, as we cannot control how well the person doing the modification, performs the operation. We can only show you what we have done and how well, what we have done works. I plan on modifying all the shops drysuits this year.

The modification process Is actually easy with a sharp shear. Diving trauma scissors work well. However, the critical modification is the use of the thinner crossectionally sized orings. That took a while to figure out since it was counter intuitive. I have a stack of improperly cut cuffs and hundreds of orings that did not fit properly.

Replacing the existing round PU cuffs with the Antares compatible oval cuffs is always an option. When you install the rolock 90 system, the previously oval cuffs take a round shape.
The reason why the two are incompatible has to do with the profile of the grooves in the two PU cuffs.

Replacing the existing round PU cuffs with the Antares compatible oval cuffs is always an option. When you install the rolock 90 system, the previously oval cuffs take a round shape.
The reason why the two are incompatible has to do with the profile of the grooves in the two PU cuffs.

Just for the sake of clarity, this will require the current rings that are glued into the OP's suit to be removed and the PU rings from the QVS oval system glued into the suit sleeve cuffs.

The Antares system is the original dryglove system that Si-Tech made/marketed to integrate with their QCS oval wrist cuff system. Although some have used it to good effect, It did/does not have a very good following due to a tendency for it to leak.

There are a number of dryglove systems on the market that are designed to integrate with the QCS oval wrist cuff system...they all render the system round when installed except the Fourth Element Ellipse dryglove system...as the name implies this system retains the oval shape once installed. The Ellipse was designed by Fourth Element in conjunction, and they used Si-Tech's tooling to ensure an accurate fit between the parts.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom