300 Chinese Vessels Pillaging the Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
Oceana Finds 300 Chinese Vessels Pillaging the Galapagos for Squid

"An Oceana analysis found nearly 300 Chinese vessels pillaging the waters off the Galapagos Marine Reserve primarily for squid, which are essential to the diet of iconic Galapagos species such as fur seals and hammerhead sharks, as well as for many commercial and recreational fish species, including tuna and billfish, that contribute to the local economy.

Using the Global Fishing Watch — an independent nonprofit founded by Oceana in partnership with Google and SkyTruth — mapping tool, Oceana analyzed data from fishing vessels found near the Galapagos Islands from July 13 to Aug. 13, 2020. During this one-month period, Oceana documented the Chinese fleet, which was primarily fishing for squid, logged more than 73,000 total hours of apparent fishing.* In fact, 99% of the visible fishing activity off the Galapagos Islands during this one-month period was by Chinese-flagged vessels."

Report: Chinese Fishermen Illegally Plundering Galápagos Islands

This is not surprising.

While all nations, whether operating formally in a governmental function or as represented by its commercial initiatives, are periodically guilty of missteps. China’s business practices in mineral extraction in Africa about 15 years ago caught Western attention as being completely out of step with modern international virtues.

My point? I think we can anticipate the pace of China’s drive is going to continue to be faster than its pace to learn to be sensitive about the impact of its actions.

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar enough with China or Asia to be able to propose what mechanisms could be leveraged to convince China to be more respectful and mindful in their commercial fishing activities.

What a shame.

Hopefully Ecuador will take a page from Indonesia's book with regards to illegal fishing. It's a faint hope, but you never know. The Chinese government will probably just fine the captains 25 Yuan and be done with it...if the Chinese government does anything at all.

What a shame.

Hopefully Ecuador will take a page from Indonesia's book with regards to illegal fishing. It's a faint hope, but you never know. The Chinese government will probably just fine the captains 25 Yuan and be done with it...if the Chinese government does anything at all.

Yes, sinks them like this:

During this one-month period, Oceana documented the Chinese fleet, which was primarily fishing for squid, logged more than 73,000 total hours of apparent fishing.* In fact, 99% of the visible fishing activity off the Galapagos Islands during this one-month period was by Chinese-flagged vessels."

I can only see this getting worse as human populations burgeon. Fish is a go-to protein for populations who have difficulty affording land-based meat. Already we have seen new kinds of fish introduced to the market as previously-popular ones become scarce. Whoever would have thought monkfish would find a market? Most people would find them hideous if they saw one alive.

(p,s. -- Love your Pitfall Harry avatar! I was an ace at that game back in the day!)

Soylent green

Back
Top Bottom