Why did you start rebreather diving / what do you love about it ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this your project? AMPHIBIO — Jun Kamei

It's... a pretty industrial design...

Be aware that people on this forum have a very high bar for their sniff-test of new revolutionary underwater breathing technology, and have seen a lot of wild claims from heavily-hyped failed startups over the years. Not that groundbreaking innovation isn't possible, but the technical people around these parts are going to demand extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims and probably try to fight you.

The idea of 3D printing "perfectly packed" blocks/matrices of sofnolime might be sorta interesting. Pulling enough dissolved O2 out of the water to supply a human is HARD to say the least.
How about this for a startup idea? Develop a supplement that when ingested produces a large volume of oxygen rich gas. The gas is "captured" and stored in a back mounted system for use in breathing underwater...what do ya think? Any takers?

How about this for a startup idea? Develop a supplement that when ingested produces a large volume of oxygen rich gas. The gas is "captured" and stored in a back mounted system for use in breathing underwater...what do ya think? Any takers?
I know certain substances when ingested can produce methane gas so I guess it's possible.

continuously "producing" a breathable volume of gas that way would likely startle the fish

Filled out the questionnaire.

In my opinion, it is interesting to note that of those willing to take risk in order to experience the exceptional, there seems to be very little middle ground between the adrenaline junkies and those who carefully asses risk versus reward and prefer a more indelible, detailed experience.

I can’t imagine trying to compare my many memorable CCR dives to the few near death adrenaline OD experiences I’ve had. Most of which were accidental in nature and on motorcycles. Certainly in terms of duration, quality and overall risk, I much prefer the experience of CCR diving...

Why did I?
  1. The silence
  2. The buoyancy
  3. The redundancy
  4. The depth and duration of the dives
  5. Much less Helium to pay for
Do I need to add one more reason? The fun! :)

I found I was doing more and more dives with people using CCR.
Had a chat with someone using one who stripped it and explained it properly. He then offered me an opportunity to critique the new course they had written. I paid for accommodation and flights, they paid for diving and provided the units. Seemed like a cheap weeks diving.

Bloody expensive, I ordered one once I got home.

Been diving it ever since, that was 16 years ago. I rarely dive OC, unless teaching OC courses, some of those I can use the CCR :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom