Question on 7mm wetsuit...vs dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Hollis 8-7-6 it’s great if the water is 70° otherwise dry, the black ice is a really nice suit but for a drysuit for close to the price of a nice wetsuit look at Seaskin ultra but if you want front zip you have the best option, I would just dive the black ice w/o undergarments at the upper temps.

I'm a bit of a wuss in cold water, but I prefer my 7mm wetsuit to my drysuit as long as I can stand it. Mostly due to less weight and ease of peeing. Surface water temps here tend to be in the 60s, down to the mid-50s at depth, and I can handle a single wet rec dive as long as the air is fairly warm. Any cooler, or if doing multiple dives, I'm in my drysuit.

I prefer my dry suit over a wet suit. When on vacation in the in tropical areas I’ll wear a rash guard. But otherwise I always wear my dry suit.

granted I have a DUI FLX Extreme custom so it fits perfectly

I dive in Northern California where the water is between 42 (coldest I can remember) and 60 (El Nino years) normally the water sits at between 48 and 53.

I started in wetsuits, went to a drysuit, and back to wetsuits.
My drysuit was a full 7mm Techno Diver Commercial drysuit that I bought from a dive shop in Seattle WA.
The zipper finally went out and when I found out it was going to be $600 to replace it I decommissioned it. Part of the reason for leaving the drysuit world for me was because I would sweat something terrible then I would get cold. There were other things too I didn’t like with the drysuit like being isolated from the water too much, I like being wet and being bathed in the salt of the sea. To me there’s something very therapeutic about being in contact with the sea. I feel more like a part of it rather than just an isolated visitor like a moon walker.
So I began looking into high quality custom wetsuits. I found out a whole world of wetsuits way beyond off-the-rack suits found ready made online and at dive shops. I’ve had several custom wetsuits built by M&B Wetsuits in Long Beach, CA they are commercial grade suits mostly for the urchin industry. I’ve worn out both my M&B suits so now I’m using a skin-in two piece freediving suit for scuba, which works OK but it’s a little spongy for going too deep. My next suit will be a custom built suit from JMJ Wetsuits in Torrance, CA.

Your body will get used to whatever you put it through. To me being wet is a thousand times more pleasurable than being stuck in a sweaty stinky drysuit with sweat soaked undergarments, plus the hassle and potential missed dives.
I’ve had buddies who dive dry and several times I have been left to go solo that day (in my trusty wetsuit) while they sat on the beach waiting for me because a seal ripped, or there was a hole, or a zipper leaked or some other tragedy with their drysuit.
You can keep it.

I love diving wet...even in cold salt water.

Prefer my drysuit

The only time I dive wet is in caves when I can't get a drysuit in there past the dry parts without ripping it. Part of why I dive dry is because 6+months out of the year here you will freeze on the surface in a wetsuit before you can even splash. Its damp, rainy, and temps in the 50s. Not conducive to starting the dive comfortable at all

I dive dry. My wife however, though competent with a dry suit she just doesn't like them -- "too much faff". Instead she dives a 5mm wetsuit with a 5mm hooded shorty "overvest" when it gets cold. This obviously adds up to 10mm of neoprene over the body, but she still feels she has good mobility and keeps well warm. Takes a fair amount of lead to sink, too. They layers-on-layers approach may be more flexible than a regular 7mm I guess.

My 7mm has collected dust since I got my trilam drysuit. I have much more mobility in the drysuit than the 7 mm. I'll still occasionally wear a 3 mm wetsuit in NC, but drysuit without heavy (or any undergarments) is super comfortable.

Thanks everyone for the information...I will give it a try with the wetsuit and see how it goes. I am gonna buy a thin undergarment for my black ice dry suit....

Thanks everyone for the information...I will give it a try with the wetsuit and see how it goes. I am gonna buy a thin undergarment for my black ice dry suit....
Just look at a poly type base layer, that and the wool lining should work well.

Back
Top Bottom