NTSB opens public docket on Conception fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm going to put the salient point first:
"No conclusions about how or why the fire and subsequent sinking occurred should be drawn from the information within the docket."

15 topic areas, 1677 pages pages

---------------------------------------------------------------------
NTSB News Release
National Transportation Safety Board opened the public case docket Wednesday as part of its ongoing investigation of the fatal, Sept. 2, 2019, fire aboard the dive boat Conception off Santa Cruz Island, California.

The 75-foot commercial diving vessel, with 33 passengers and six crew aboard, was anchored in Platts Harbor off Santa Cruz Island when it caught fire. One crew member and 33 passengers died in the accident.

The docket includes factual reports and documents, including interview transcripts, photographs, and other investigative materials.The docket does not include any analysis, findings, recommendations or a probable cause determination. That will be released at the end of the public board meeting scheduled for Oct. 20 beginning at 9:30 a.m. ET.

No conclusions about how or why the fire and subsequent sinking occurred should be drawn from the information within the docket, available at https://go.usa.gov/xGNeg. Additional material may be added to the docket as it becomes available.

I don’t know whether to cry, or puke, or take a swing at someone. What a preventable, terrible waste.

Aren’t factual reports and documents exactly what we should be using to draw conclusions? What else is there? Do you mean we should just turn our brains off and let someone else tell us what to believe?

Aren’t factual reports and documents exactly what we should be using to draw conclusions? What else is there? Do you mean we should just turn our brains off and let someone else tell us what to believe?
No, he’s saying that NTSB didn’t draw any conclusions. You are welcome to speculate at will.

NTSB only presented their fact finding results. Their report with conclusions is pending after public hearings on Oct 20

Interesting that the captain was prevented from testifying to the NTSB by the US Attorney.

Perhaps more interesting is that the company boats were respected and considered very safe, while there were some significant issues, Some crazy obvious like nobody ever noticing there was no second means of egress from the upper level and had never been one.

I find it interesting the the captain was prevented in testifying as well...
As for egress from the bunk room, there were two. I’ve seen them both. Same goes for the Vision and Truth, the remaining Truth Aquatics vessels. There are pictures on a different post suggesting at least one more has been added.
After reading what I have about the details, it is my opinion that maybe it didn’t matter how many egress points were available. We’ll probably never know.

I'm going to put the salient point first:
"No conclusions about how or why the fire and subsequent sinking occurred should be drawn from the information within the docket."

15 topic areas, 1677 pages pages

---------------------------------------------------------------------
NTSB News Release
National Transportation Safety Board opened the public case docket Wednesday as part of its ongoing investigation of the fatal, Sept. 2, 2019, fire aboard the dive boat Conception off Santa Cruz Island, California.

The 75-foot commercial diving vessel, with 33 passengers and six crew aboard, was anchored in Platts Harbor off Santa Cruz Island when it caught fire. One crew member and 33 passengers died in the accident.

The docket includes factual reports and documents, including interview transcripts, photographs, and other investigative materials.The docket does not include any analysis, findings, recommendations or a probable cause determination. That will be released at the end of the public board meeting scheduled for Oct. 20 beginning at 9:30 a.m. ET.

No conclusions about how or why the fire and subsequent sinking occurred should be drawn from the information within the docket, available at https://go.usa.gov/xGNeg. Additional material may be added to the docket as it becomes available.
The NTSB may not be drawing conclusions yet.

HOWEVER, I am under no such restrictions and as someone that has spent half my life on and around the sea working on boats, ships, subs and so forth, that has read the NTSB statement of FACTS.

I hope the Captain and the owner of TRUTH spend the rest of their natural lives in jail. I hope they get sued civilly so badly that they have ZERO assets and only own a toothbrush from the prison store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom