Cancellation Policy Changes at Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In any event, bringing airline policies into a discussion on dive resort policies is a diversion. We shouldn't accept such policies with dive resorts, where they are not the norm, just because we lost the battle a long time ago with the airlines. Which points out why we should push back now on BA policy because if they get away with it then others may follow suit. Perhaps we should have pushed back harder when the airlines started their nonsense.

I believe BA's screwy new refund policy is about the worst hospitality management decision I've seen in pandemic times. Management is layering another level of financial pain on the operation on top of the pain caused by the pandemic. The resort is self-admittedly struggling financially per the email to the OP but I believe the vast majority of travelers (who don't even know about these issues) are not going to risk booking accommodations and putting down a hefty deposit under these screwy terms for fear of losing it totally and not being able to ever see it as a future credit up to 2 years out on a future stay... Not when other establishments allow one to book without this risk. This new refund policy is going to steer travelers away from booking at BA to booking at other establishments at the very time BA desperately needs people booking for future stays to generate the future cash flow that can dig itself out of the current financial hardship it is in.

Reefhound is absolutely right... Resorts should be following some of the airlines' latest practices to eliminate every obstacle possible that could dissuade a potential customer from booking. That means you don't increase deposits or worsen refund policies, you decrease/eliminate deposits and improve refund policies. If I were a resort manager and I looked at my bookings/reservations 3 months out and saw I was at 30%, 20% and 10% respective occupancy (which is probably highly generous right now) I'd be taking reservations right and left with a nominal deposit that is fully refundable with 24 hours notice for anything I could book. Once I achieved 80% booked occupancy for those respective months I'd institute perhaps a slightly more restrictive refund policy with say, 7 days advance notice to receive a full refund or forfeit it to fill the remaining 20%. I mean, I'm pretty sure BA could take every reservation it receives right now with no deposit and it won't achieve 80% booked occupancy over the next 3 months so what is there to lose?

In my opinion BA management is shooting itself in the foot with this screwy refund policy change. The very fact that management has gone this route decreases the odds that it will still be in operation a year or 2 from now, it doesn't increase them as it serves to reduce bookings, not increase bookings.

Again, worst decision I've ever seen made in hospitality during pandemic times. Some may say, "It's not your business and not your decision". That's fine and you're right, BA isn't my business nor would I want it but with these management practices it could easily be someone else's sooner than later if/when it shuts down and goes up for sale. There is capital everywhere waiting to pounce on mismanaged business that they can buy at less than 50 cents on the dollar hard asset value. Remember the Great Recession and all those foreclosed homes? Remember who bought them at 50 cents on the dollar of building them new? Very smart, very patient investors who put their capital to work when the blood is flowing. Pretty sure there are plenty of wealthy CRE investors in Coz that would be picking up the BA in a fire sale. As far as respecting the terms of all those existing deposits to be cashed in sometime later... In Mexico it is a failed business and a sale of hard assets, that's all.

Delta and American have joined United in ending change fees "permanently" (until they change their mind).

Delta Air Lines and American Airlines said on Monday they will permanently scrap domestic change fees, matching an announcement on Sunday from rival United Airlines.

The moves come as airlines try desperately to lure people back to flying despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. U.S. air travel has recovered modestly since April, but passenger traffic remains down about 70 percent from a year ago.

The four largest U.S. airlines lost a combined $10 billion from April through June. Airlines shared $25 billion in federal payroll aid under pandemic relief legislation and are lobbying for $25 billion more.

United has warned 36,000 employees that they could be furloughed in October. It received $5 billion in taxpayer money to keep workers on the payroll through September.

“When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of fees is often the top request,” United CEO Scott Kirby said in a video posted Sunday.

Delta, American, join United Airlines to permanently scrap ticket-change fees

Westjet has announced that it will be providing Covid insurance too.

Westjet has announced that it will be providing Covid insurance too.
Unless you are from Saskatchewan.... I guess various folks are looking into why not and Air Canada is working on complying with whatever they need to do...

Unless you are from Saskatchewan.... I guess various folks are looking into why not and Air Canada is working on complying with whatever they need to do...

So very strange.

Delta and American have joined United in ending change fees "permanently" (until they change their mind).

Delta Air Lines and American Airlines said on Monday they will permanently scrap domestic change fees, matching an announcement on Sunday from rival United Airlines.
Note that per what was posted above, international change fees may still apply.

Note that per what was posted above, international change fees may still apply.

Then it doesn't match the United announcement as claimed because the United announcement said "for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean." Or maybe the reporting was just abbreviated. Have you seen their actual announcements?

In addition, the announcements I have seen extend no-change fees for all destinations through the end of 2020.

Update: sloppy reporting.

Effective immediately, American will eliminate all change fees for First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy and Main Cabin tickets for all domestic and short-haul international flying.
Newsroom - American Airlines Improves the Travel Experience - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Scuba Club closed its doors and fired all of its employees. They only kept a guard on staff to stand in front of the doors and turn people away. So, sure, they are re-opening, but didn't show any compassion for their employees and appeared to say "sink or swim" through the economic turmoil.

Eva of BA kept her staff employed and paid by, yes, using customer deposits and her own savings. I supposed you can condemn her for that and bad mouth her in a scuba forum, or you can see that she didn't want her staff to suffer.

FYI, Scuba Club did NOT offer me a refund from the trip I had paid in full from March. I was offered a credit that was good for only ONE YEAR from the original date of my stay. I have re-booked the trip and they have changed the rate, it's no longer including dinner, and doesn't include as many dives. It appears that everyone is scrambling trying to survive.

FYI, Scuba Club did NOT offer me a refund from the trip I had paid in full from March. I was offered a credit that was good for only ONE YEAR from the original date of my stay. I have re-booked the trip and they have changed the rate, it's no longer including dinner, and doesn't include as many dives. It appears that everyone is scrambling trying to survive.
I suppose that you paid your deposit by credit card or other means with disputable charges and refunds?

I suppose that you paid your deposit by credit card or other means with disputable charges and refunds?

Oh yeah, but I re-booked already and am planning to go.

(btw, I followed your advice and started another thread. Easy peasy. :) )

Back
Top Bottom