Drysuit noob questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soooo the BARE drysuit arrived just 2 days after ordering it!
It looks a liiitle bit bigger than expected, but i think it will be fine with the undergarments.
Today hopefully it will be the first test dive (and my #30 dive).

I have a question for the more experienced though. It is of course about the dry glove system.

This is on the drysuit:

SI TECH QUICK CUFF SET INCL SILFLEX MANCHETTER - - Aquashoppen

And from the shop they suggested those two:

SI TECH QUICK GLOVE DRAGTRING SÆT FOR TØRHANDSKE SIDEN - - Aquashoppen

SI TECH GLOVE LOCK QCP SÆT TIL TØRHANDSKER - - Aquashoppen

Seems like it will be hard to go for KUBI or ULTIMA, right?
Is QCP better than the first one?

Any other options?

Soooo the BARE drysuit arrived just 2 days after ordering it!
It looks a liiitle bit bigger than expected, but i think it will be fine with the undergarments.
Today hopefully it will be the first test dive (and my #30 dive).

I have a question for the more experienced though. It is of course about the dry glove system.

This is on the drysuit:

SI TECH QUICK CUFF SET INCL SILFLEX MANCHETTER - - Aquashoppen

And from the shop they suggested those two:

SI TECH QUICK GLOVE DRAGTRING SÆT FOR TØRHANDSKE SIDEN - - Aquashoppen

SI TECH GLOVE LOCK QCP SÆT TIL TØRHANDSKER - - Aquashoppen

Seems like it will be hard to go for KUBI or ULTIMA, right?
Is QCP better than the first one?

Any other options?

Your suit came with the older and larger diameter si-tech QCP (quick cuff platform) round system. The Waterproof Ultima dryglove system that was recommended in a previous post is not directly compatible with this system.

Your main choices of a directly compatible/integrateable dryglove system are what you listed: the si-tech quick glove and the si-tech glove lock systems.

The Glove lock is the generally preferred system. Quick Lock owners have complained that their ring mounted gloves have occasionally popped off. The Quick Lock system is a press-fit setup. The Glove Lock system has a bayonet locking ring that prevents the issue with the Quick Lock from occuring.

My wife's 1st drysuit came with the quick cuff and Glove Lock setup which works well. She then got a custom made drysuit with the si-tech virgo which is modeled off the Glove Lock system but designed to integrate with the si-tech QCS oval wrist cuff system. She has since switched to Waterproof Ultima because she has small hands and wrists and she felt the virgo system was too bulky.

You can purchase and use the Kubi system. but it is kind of ridiculous to mount a cuff/glove system on a cuff/glove system. The local shops here that sell Kubi don't recommend using them on silicone seals as stretching of the seal caused by mounting rings makes them susceptible/vulnerable to damage. Instead they recommend gluing in or sandwiching in (using the si-tech cuffs) latex seals and mounting the kubi's on those, or permanently mounting the Kubis.

Typically the choice between si-tech and Kubi is made when a change is desired or when a suit is new/being made. You just got the suit with the si-tech system...recommend sticking with it until you know you want a change. The Glove Lock dryglove system is easy to mount gloves onto the rings and easy to don/dof the glove side before and after a dive. It works well with the only real complaint from my house is that it is a bit bulky....but si-tech developed the QCS oval system to create a lower profile system.

-Z

si-tech developed the QCS oval system to create a lower profile system.
And the oval ring system they developed sucks Equus africanus asinus' cojones.

The round ring system using the same circumference suit-side rings (Ultima) is so superior that one is tempted to call it "infinitely superior".

Yes, I've tried both. Dived a full year with the QCS. Switched to Ultima and have never looked back.

And the oval ring system they developed sucks Equus africanus asinus' cojones.

The round ring system using the same circumference suit-side rings (Ultima) is so superior that one is tempted to call it "infinitely superior".

Yes, I've tried both. Dived a full year with the QCS. Switched to Ultima and have never looked back.

I can only agree anecdotaly as I have no first hand experience with the Antares system....there was enough info out that indicated this was a system to avoid when I started diving dry. The QCS oval platform is good in itself but oval glove systems not so much.

Just so the OP is not confused by your comment...the Waterproof Ultima DGS is not compatible with the Si-Tech Quick Cuff round system he has...the diameter of the rings glued into his suit are too large for the Ultima DGS to mate with them. The PU ring from the QCS oval system has a smaller diameter.

-Z

I've been using the quick glove system for over 10 years now and will put them on a new suit when the time comes. I've never had a glove pop off. The only problem with the system is the o-rings it comes with are too large. The first step with this system is to toss the factory o-rings and replace them with a -153 o-ring, after this mod the system works great.

Thank you for the great explanation @Zef . It is really helpful!

they recommend gluing in or sandwiching in (using the si-tech cuffs) latex seals and mounting the kubi's on those, or permanently mounting the Kubis.

I would ask around the dive shops here but i think that it will get extremely expensive to do all this (especially in Denmark).
I read that the glove lock system is more trustworthy and i think i will go for that for now. When reparation is needed, if possible, i could move to Ultima/KUBI

Do you think i can put the glove lock system on my own?
I guess these will fit, right?
TØRHANDSKER SHOWA COLD BLUE M - - Aquashoppen

Just so the OP is not confused by your comment...the Waterproof Ultima DGS is not compatible with the Si-Tech Quick Cuff round system he has...the diameter of the rings glued into his suit are too large for the Ultima DGS to mate with them. The PU ring from the QCS oval system has a smaller diameter.
Good point.

The QCS PU rings can accommodate either oval Antares stiff rings, or round Ultima stiff rings. As you point out, the other SiTech systems use larger circumference suit rings.

Thank you for the great explanation @Zef . It is really helpful!

I would ask around the dive shops here but i think that it will get extremely expensive to do all this (especially in Denmark).
I read that the glove lock system is more trustworthy and i think i will go for that for now. When reparation is needed, if possible, i could move to Ultima/KUBI

Do you think i can put the glove lock system on my own?
I guess these will fit, right?
TØRHANDSKER SHOWA COLD BLUE M - - Aquashoppen

The Kubi system has a good following but I would not recommend the expense or the hassle at this point in time.

I think you may find yourself happy with the Si-Tech cuff system and Glove Lock dry glove system.

Yes, you will be able to mount the gloves sytstem yourself....it is designed for one to do so. No tools are needed.

If you need help/advice, I am in the same time zone as you and can meet up on zoom or whatsapp.

Those gloves look like the SHOWA model 495. They are a PVC glove with a cotton lining and the yellow undergloves are acrylic.

I have a couple pair that I dont use because I have shifted to the SHOWA 720, which is a nitrile glove with an acrylic lining...no underglove but I find the yellow ones too bulky and use ski glove liners like the Dakine Storm or Burton Power Stretch. Just about any microfleece or thinsulate gloveliner/underglove will work.

-Z

Thank you so much @Zef, i will try on my own when they come and if i fail i may disturb you!

Thanks again for all the help! I will buy you a couple of beers (one is never enough) if i ever visit your country! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom