Aqualung Leg3nd MBS or Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, here we go. I guess I'm on my 4th purge cover for the B2 primary. The current one I have, which was the first to be the "current style" where the cover uses two different kinds of material is totally FINE. So, AA have fixed this issue for sure. Here are four old ones. From 6'oclock, the original from my primary; 8'oclock #2 from primary, 12'oclock a spare for Octo that is at the "tacky" stage, and 3'oclock #3 for the primary. Second pic is a close-up of what's left of the original purge cover. You can just make out some text still on some of the larger bits.

These bags have been sealed in a Pelican box since coming off the reg, which was also kept in a sealed Pelican, so they have had very little UV. Although this started as a debate about "UV rot," I don't actually think UV is the issue. It's more like "aging polymer rot." But, as I said above, the new ones seem fine and anyone with a modern AA can just enjoy their dives and not worry about this at all.

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpeg
    IMG_3368.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3370.jpeg
    IMG_3370.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 98
Oh, one other thing....this highlights something somebody else mentioned...... This reg is 25 years old, yet I'm still able to fit the "modern" parts when things need replacing. AA started with a great design, which has stood the test of time very well. That's a great, great thing.

OK, here we go. I guess I'm on my 4th purge cover for the B2 primary. The current one I have, which was the first to be the "current style" where the cover uses two different kinds of material is totally FINE. So, AA have fixed this issue for sure. Here are four old ones. From 6'oclock, the original from my primary; 8'oclock #2 from primary, 12'oclock a spare for Octo that is at the "tacky" stage, and 3'oclock #3 for the primary. Second pic is a close-up of what's left of the original purge cover. You can just make out some text still on some of the larger bits.

These bags have been sealed in a Pelican box since coming off the reg, which was also kept in a sealed Pelican, so they have had very little UV. Although this started as a debate about "UV rot," I don't actually think UV is the issue. It's more like "aging polymer rot." But, as I said above, the new ones seem fine and anyone with a modern AA can just enjoy their dives and not worry about this at all.

They must have had a bad batch 25 years ago but it hasn't been an issue for 20+ years now :)

P.S. I originally started with a B1 circa 97/98 but it was upgraded to the B2 a couple of years later via internal and external parts update from AA. Great company with vision and attention to details.

Yes, there seemed to be universal respect for Dean and Doug from a lot of the techs who'd been in the industry for a long time and that translated into a lot of people buying and pushing AA's gear.

I was at Micronesian Divers Association in Guam at the time and Pete Peterson (owner), Frank Valerio (head tech) and Jim Brandt (Course Director) were mobbed when they came back from DEMA with the first run of T1s.

Frank could make ANYTHING breath like a dream, but the T1 is the first reg he'd bought himself in years (he usually made frankenstein regs out of parts....and always had a sweet tuned Mk10 1st stage) That sold a lot of people on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom