Cocos recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be heading to Cocos on the Okeanos aggressor 2 on Oct 3rd and was wondering if anyone has a recent experience ? Would love to hear conditions / sea life or any tips

I haven't been "recently" i went a couple of years ago on the okeanos 1. firstly, it's amazing, the whole place is magical and SUPER SUPER remote, you're 36 hrs from the mainland. I would say treat it with respect if anything happens to you you're a long way from rescue.....
Having said that, i would take gloves, not much coral there and you need to grab onto the rocks and cram yourself into a spot to watch the hammerheads on the Dirty rock dive. also, some of the dive sites have large swell so move with the swell and that means grabbing onto rocks then releasing like a swing.
take a raincoat as it rained a lot when i was there but i went in June.
make sure you're good at putting up your SMB as all diving is panga / panga and if you get lost you don't want to be in the pacific bobbing around having lost your smb. ( they do give you gps which you stuff in a pocket so if you get really lost they can find you.)

anyway, have fun!

very excited

do i need special gloves for holding onto the rocks?

appreciate the tips on the raincoat - any other packing tips?

strong ones, mine got shredded. i would think a pair of tropical gloves or 3mm gloves would be sufficient.

i think a lot of people take sea sickness tablets as it can rock and roll on the crossing for 36 hrs. I'm in the fortunate camp that when the boat rolls i go lay in bed and fall straight asleep!

i would say the best thing to take with you is competent diving ability as it's not like the Caribbean, ( captain beto's words not mine).

but it's a fantastic place and go explore the island as it's well worth it.

I've no experience in this regard, but I've read here on Scubaboard before that some buy a work glove of some sort and then to further strengthen it, dip the gloves in a rubber coating. Something like this:

Guide to Glove Dips and Coatings

But for the hassle and the price, maybe just buy the right predipped work gloves at the hardware store in the first place.

The bottom is littered with sea urchins at some of the sites and it's very easy to put your hand or leg on one while being pushed around by the current. Bad idea! Make sure you're up to date on how your computer works, it seems like there's always that guy getting his computer locked up because of user error. I didn't see the need for special gloves, although having a pair is a good idea. (On a couple of dives you have to pull yourself down a line and things grow on them.) Be careful to keep your head/ears covered on the panga rides, it's easy to get burned. It's a wonderful place--I've been out there three times and look forward to going back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom