Starting Technical diving GUE Vs TDI VS PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll speak to GUE instructors in my neck of the woods and I’ll name names. Alex Adolfi and Kees Leverenz I have personal experience with being trained by both. Awesome instructors, highly skilled, were great at pushing me to my skill limits to determine how I needed to improve. Guy Shockey has trained one of my friends. Excellent instructor and very mild mannered. A couple of friend have trained under Liz Tribe. Another excellent instructor.

All of these people are ethical, patient, and when my daughter grows up, I’d be thrilled if any of them trained my daughter and introduced her to the GUE system.

I can’t speak to the other corner of the country. Could be a case of “Florida man....” (I’ll run and duck now).

Did anybody explicitly call you liar?

Also, you said you sent a couple of letters, so possibly not many people in GUE knew about your problem. Maybe just one guy in the HQ... did anyone else know about your problem?

I've had several people who identified themselves as GUE instructors, who said that they knew my instructor well, who explicitly called me a liar.

Hi Doc, this whole situation sucks. I'm sorry you had that experience. With that said, we have a Midwest GUE community here in the Great Lakes...

I deeply appreciate your offer. I could have used offers like this many years ago. Unfortunately, I dropped out of the GUE pipeline before I finished, so I'm afraid that I'm not an official GUE diver.

That said, I no longer feel that I need GUE to help me achieve a higher standard for diving. I trained hard after I quit GUE, diving almost daily. I bought a compressor and built a dive shop in my garage with a full gas mixing station (PP and continuous blends). I received training to service all of my own gear and cylinders. I went on to do some more tech training (including full cave) with instructors who were very helpful. There are very few divers in the Appalachian mountains, so I typically dive alone several days a week in deep, cold, dark reservoirs where the visibility is about 12 inches and it's completely dark below 40 feet. All I did was train and drill in those conditions. But given the isolated area where I live, and the lack of partners, I have given up on any more tech/cave diving. My wife and I enjoy simple diving these days.

I've had several people who identified themselves as GUE instructors, who said that they knew my instructor well, who explicitly called me a liar.

So only your instructor called you liar? ok... sorry, but my feeling from what you write is that your discussion is driven by anger, and not rationality. I can understand it, because what you had to deal with really sucks. But I can't agree, so I'll stop it here.

So only your instructor called you liar? ok... sorry, but my feeling from what you write is that your discussion is driven by anger, and not rationality. I can understand it, because what you had to deal with really sucks. But I can't agree, so I'll stop it here.

Hi, I usually don't like when discussions get closed or blocked, but can you please stop responding to him. It's a ten year old case and there is no evidence to support one side or the other. Let's just agree to drop this particular part of the discussion.

Hi, I usually don't like when discussions get closed or blocked, but can you please stop responding to him. It's a ten year old case and there is no evidence to support one side or the other. Let's just agree to drop this particular part of the discussion.

This is exactly what I wrote in the post you quoted

We need less Eeyore and more Tigger in this thread.

Just no bouncy, trouncy on the deco stops...that wouldn’t lead to fun, fun, fun unless you like chamber rides.

Judging from the private messages that I've received, I'm not the only one who had an abysmal experience with GUE.

Doesn't seem like he wants to drop it, judging by the most recent vaguebook style post, so I think it's best to just ignore this thread. It served its purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom