Help with low vis backscatter GoPro photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The GoPro has a default setting for sharpness on high. Should I change it to medium or would that result in the camera not being able to pick up enough detail?

I'm not a gopro expert, I'd say try both and see which you like better and which holds together better in post processing. You may find you can do most of your sharpening is post, depending on how much time you want to spend with each photo. A gopro is going to be a compromise regardless as there is only so much that small sensor can accomplish.

All of those stock photo's you see are heavily post processed and likely not shot with a gopro.

Sharpening and detail are different things. Detail depends on pixel count, optics, aperture, amount of water between lens and subject etc...

You can compare sharpenng with an eyeliner: accentuating borders between dark and light areas in the image. People seem to like oversharpened images or confuse it with detail, that's why the default is high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom