regulator servicing Kenya and Tanzania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I am thinking about buying a regulator and hesitate between Aqualung Core Supreme or Scubapro MK17 G260 (sets currently cost the same here). Any advise which to go for?

We dive up to 60m sometimes (training for CMAS***) but mostly above 40m and coldest 13°C currently in Southern France but soon will be based in Eastern Africa again.

So one point would be which are easier to get serviced there but I have no idea as I have only been diving in Kenya so far and honestly don´t remember what regulator they had. Any of you experience with this over there?

And for Egypt where we might be able to go (post covid...) do you know which would be best?

Thanks Burhan -why exactly? For the servicing? For any specific aspect?

Both are easily serviceable since both come from the two biggest dive equipment manufactures with the largest representation around the world. The difference is in performance and quality. The SP MK17/G260 is a much higher performance regulator and is used in technical diving to 60meters and beyond. The G260 second stage is a high end second stage and is a proven design and is used by recreational and technical divers around the world. When you are given the choice between the two model you mention and when they are at the same price, or close to it, it is a no brainer to pick the SP MK17/G260 over the AL model.

Thanks, ok did not realise they were so different!

Indeed no diving in Ethiopoia unfortunately! Though there are a few lakes who could be interesting...
Am normally based there but work all over Eastern Africa so could dive in Kenya and Tanzania and had planned Djibouti, Sudan and maybe Eritrea before Covid. Also vacation in Egypt and Madagascar (worked there before).
However have not returned after our home leave this summer and teleworked from France so actually did quite a lot of diving on weekends here. Probably won´t bring regulators back home each year for servicing though as usually save my luggage for all kind of goodies from like wine, chocolate, olive oil, cheese and other essentials when returning

Hello all,

I am thinking about buying a regulator and hesitate between Aqualung Core Supreme or Scubapro MK17 G260 (sets currently cost the same here). Any advise which to go for?

We dive up to 60m sometimes (training for CMAS***) but mostly above 40m and coldest 13°C currently in Southern France but soon will be based in Eastern Africa again.

So one point would be which are easier to get serviced there but I have no idea as I have only been diving in Kenya so far and honestly don´t remember what regulator they had. Any of you experience with this over there?

And for Egypt where we might be able to go (post covid...) do you know which would be best?

I'm not sure if Burhan really knows the Core Supreme, and he might have some reasons to judge the MK17 so positive, but in fact is the Core Supreme not worse than the MK17/G260.

Actually the Core 1st is for me even the superior 1st, because it balances much better than the MK17.

I'm a big fan of the G260 and like it more than the Aqualung for different reasons, but I know from my tests, that the Core 2nd is a solid, high performance 2nd, definitely good for your 60m and more.

The Service Kits of the MK17/G260 are more expensive than the Core parts.

I still would be with Burhan, because I think that worldwide it is easier to get technical and material support for SP regs than for AL regs when traveling different countries
But my decision would be much more close than Burhan's..........

Thank you Axel !
What do you mean by balancing better?
What exactly are the different reasons you like G260 more?
Just starting to get into the subject and like to get to the bottom of things :D
Though servicing is very important criterium

Back
Top Bottom