Conception news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of good points there, to my train of thought, roving means moving. I'm pedantic that way in thought and when either employed as a roving watch at sea or over those that were.. it meant moving. Stop for a break every 45 mins or so for a smoke and/or coffee for less than 5 mins and back roving.
Roving does indeed mean to wander. The speed is subject to best professional judgement but it definitely does not mean watching the stars go by on the back deck for hours at a stretch

Roving does indeed mean to wander. The speed is subject to best professional judgement but it definitely does not mean watching the stars go by on the back deck for hours at a stretch
75ft at anchor, if the cert allowed a combined watch (roving anchor) I would truthfully expect something along the line of checking physically the main cabin area, berthing areas, engine room and bilges twice an hour, the chain/windlass/brake and chain twice an hour while being lookout for any traffic at all times your face isn;t looking at the above listed items. Depending on electronics and watchkeeper (which today means everyone) i would expect them to note position in a log 4x an hour. i would also demand that once every 90 mins they make a fresh pot of coffee because when people wake up they like fresh coffee and any master worth anything are going to be unpredictable and adept in suddenly showing up at different times on different watches for a "cup of coffee". Other than making sure that folks are doing their jobs it's a chance to get to know them better. (if you care, I varied on that)

If I dare mention one good thing about the Limitation Act, it causes all lawsuits to be folded into the Limitation Proceeding, where all the cases are tried. This can benefit both sides. It can help the claimants (the families) by allowing them to pool resources (attorneys and experts) to represent them. So they don't have to "go it alone" which could be prohibitive in cost. And it avoids the possibility of inconsistent results in the factual findings.

One other (and pretty obvious) thing comes to mind. What may be a reasonable frequency of "making rounds" on a steel or aluminum boat, may not be reasonable on a wood one.

One other (and pretty obvious) thing comes to mind. What may be a reasonable frequency of "making rounds" on a steel or aluminum boat, may not be reasonable on a wood one.
How would you expect this to differ based on materials?
I see all the same things needing to be looked at, at the same relative frequency but maybe I'm missing something

i would also demand that once every 90 mins they make a fresh pot of coffee because when people wake up they like fresh coffee and any master worth anything are going to be unpredictable and adept in suddenly showing up at different times on different watches for a "cup of coffee".

From my experience on that, and other SoCal boats, the galley was completely shut down until the cook came on duty in the morning. No coffee there, they may have had a small pot in the wheelhouse, I never saw it 'cause I wasn't looking for one when there.

I know because I got up early to no coffee. After some quick training, I'd have a pot on and a cup or so in the morning before the cook got up.

How would you expect this to differ based on materials?
I see all the same things needing to be looked at, at the same relative frequency but maybe I'm missing something

Well, I’m just thinking of temperatures at which they combust, and all other things being equal a wood boat is going to catch fire at a lower temperature and spread it much faster, than steel or aluminum. Higher risk so needs checking on by a watchstander more frequently.

That's just blasphemy. Get up on a boat and there's no coffee? Oh hell no.

There was coffee, but one had to know where it was and how to make it. I can't blame the cook, I get up early. He/she, depending on the boat, was glad it was made when he got up, and I'd continue to make it if he was busy when it emptied. Good times.

Well, I’m just thinking of temperatures at which they combust, and all other things being equal a wood boat is going to catch fire at a lower temperature and spread it much faster, than steel or aluminum. Higher risk so needs checking on by a watchstander more frequently.
The things that kill you first in a fire on a boat isn’t the hull catching fire, it’s the furnishings. The foam in the seats, the curtains, etc. They generate highly toxic smoke and in some cases huge energy releases.

And it was fiberglass anyhow, not wood. The advantages of a steel boat is that it can have much more effective compartmentalization and fire bulkheads, but the boat was really too small for that to be a practical design strategy no matter what it was made of.

if the boat was metal the only advantage would be the burned out hull might have still been afloat when they investigated why the fire killed all the passengers.

The things that kill you first in a fire on a boat isn’t the hull catching fire...

Depends on how the fire starts, a fiberglass hull is just as deadly, if not more so, as the furnishings, depending on their composition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom