Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The documentation for the Descent says the Garmin transmitter uses RF when on the surface then switches to ultrasonic in the water.

I don't know what the RF frequencies are. But, until I learn that the Descent cannot receive the frequency that a PPS transmitter uses, I would say that it is possible it can receive the signal a PPS transmitter puts out. At which point, it's just firmware for the Descent that would have to support actually receiving and processing the signal from the PPS transmitter. The firmware COULD be written to be smart enough to recognize a PPS transmitter and continue to monitor RF instead of switching to ultrasonic when it gets submerged.
Yes, I suppose it could be, but it would be such a positive sales point that you'd think they would have mentioned it. I looked at the FCC filings for the Mk2 and vaguely remember the RF frequency in air was like 2.4 GHz or something.

Yes, I suppose it could be, but it would be such a positive sales point that you'd think they would have mentioned it. I looked at the FCC filings for the Mk2 and vaguely remember the RF frequency in air was like 2.4 GHz or something.

Yeah, I HIGHLY doubt they will support non-Garmin transmitters. I'm just saying that the scant info I've seen so far does not rule out the possibility.

If they went to all the trouble to (stupidly!) develop their own transmitter, then they are pretty unlikely (in my estimation) to give their customers a way to use some other company's transmitter instead. One, that would undercut their sales of their own transmitter, which I'm sure they will be trying their best to have recoup their R&D investment in transmitters. And, two, that would make it too easy for someone to compare the two types of transmitters in a real apples-to-apples manner, that might show that the PPS transmitter is better.

Yeah, I HIGHLY doubt they will support non-Garmin transmitters. I'm just saying that the scant info I've seen so far does not rule out the possibility.

If they went to all the trouble to (stupidly!) develop their own transmitter, then they are pretty unlikely (in my estimation) to give their customers a way to use some other company's transmitter instead. One, that would undercut their sales of their own transmitter, which I'm sure they will be trying their best to have recoup their R&D investment in transmitters. And, two, that would make it too easy for someone to compare the two types of transmitters in a real apples-to-apples manner, that might show that the PPS transmitter is better.
Their engineers may have developed a betamax, but I'll put my money on VHS.

You pair a computer to a PPS transmitter by entering the 6 digit PPS transmitter ID into the computer.
It isn't true pairing. You are only telling your dive computer which transmitter to listen to. The transmitter itself does not "pair" with the dive computer. It will happily transmit whether a dive computer is listening or not.

It is sort of like tuning your radio to a certain station. (Yes, I know when you tune your radio you are changing the frequency but the frequency of the transmitter is constant.

Based on the documentation, the Garmin transmitter is capable of receiving some kind of signal from the dive computer (so that it beeps when pairing is complete). So it is true pairing where both devices know about each other.

The documentation says:

That’s one. I don’t know the other. I also don’t know if the Descent 2 is capable of receiving on additional frequencies.

I also think it’s probably moot, because I REALLY don’t think Garmin will support PPS transmitters, even if they technically could.

Back
Top Bottom