Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is pretty safe to say that these transmitters won't work with, for example, a Perdix AI or Teric. But, since the Descent uses RF to read the sensor when dry, I suppose it is still possible that Garmin could build into the firmware the ability for the Descent to read a Shearwater/PPS transmitter, should you choose to use one, instead of a Garmin transmitter. Doubtful. But, it seems possible.

2 things seem particularly interesting.

- "when the pairing is complete, the sensor plays a tone". Interesting that the sensor has an ability to make sounds.

- "the sensor should not angle down toward the tank". I run all my transmitters so that they angle down toward the tank, to help protect them from hitting anything or being grabbed and used as a handle. I would not like a transmitter that was required to be angled up. Also, it says "the sensor should be at least 7 cm (3 in.) from your body". That seems to counterindicate the option to put it on a short HP hose and run it over your shoulder, as that would result in it being right up against your body.

Garmin doesn't like playing with others unless its a wide standard (ANT+ or BT for example).

I think it is pretty safe to say that these transmitters won't work with, for example, a Perdix AI or Teric. But, since the Descent uses RF to read the sensor when dry, I suppose it is still possible that Garmin could build into the firmware the ability for the Descent to read a Shearwater/PPS transmitter, should you choose to use one, instead of a Garmin transmitter. Doubtful. But, it seems possible.

2 things seem particularly interesting.

- "when the pairing is complete, the sensor plays a tone". Interesting that the sensor has an ability to make sounds.

- "the sensor should not angle down toward the tank". I run all my transmitters so that they angle down toward the tank, to help protect them from hitting anything or being grabbed and used as a handle. I would not like a transmitter that was required to be angled up. Also, it says "the sensor should be at least 7 cm (3 in.) from your body". That seems to counterindicate the option to put it on a short HP hose and run it over your shoulder, as that would result in it being right up against your body.
In the water, it uses acoustics, not RF, so the effect of placement will be quite different than for the PPS transmitters. I wish we knew the acoustic frequencies it uses; probably pretty high if it is so sensitive to placement.

It sounds like they put ultrasound emitter facing forward in the tip.

I only know of Liquivision and my Buddy Watcher who used ultrasound. Both went the way of the dodo. Let's see how this ultrasonic thing works out for Garmin. :popcorn:

Little bummed to read that it looks like the MK2 wont be compatible with my PPS transmitter. I also dive with a Perdix AI and it would have been really nice to have have AI on both computers from one transmitter. Not sure I want to run two transmitters (I also have a backup SPG). Sigh.

"when the pairing is complete, the sensor plays a tone". Interesting that the sensor has an ability to make sounds.
It also suggests it works in a completely different way to PPS transmitters. PPS transmitters broadcast the signal and there is no pairing required at all. The transmitter doesn't know or care who is listening to the broadcast.

I wonder if pairing makes it more or less reliable.

It also suggests it works in a completely different way to PPS transmitters. PPS transmitters broadcast the signal and there is no pairing required at all. The transmitter doesn't know or care who is listening to the broadcast.

I wonder if pairing makes it more or less reliable.

You pair a computer to a PPS transmitter by entering the 6 digit PPS transmitter ID into the computer.

The Descent listens for broadcasting transmitters and displays a list of IDs to choose from.

These are compatible ways of pairing the transmitter to the computer. So far, I haven't seen any information that rules out the possibility of a Descent working with a PPS transmitter.

So far, I haven't seen any information that rules out the possibility of a Descent working with a PPS transmitter.
?? But the PPS uses a 38kHz RF signal, while the Descent uses an ultrasonic audio signal. How are these compatible?

?? But the PPS uses a 38kHz RF signal, while the Descent uses an ultrasonic audio signal. How are these compatible?

The documentation for the Descent says the Garmin transmitter uses RF when on the surface then switches to ultrasonic in the water.

I don't know what the RF frequencies are. But, until I learn that the Descent cannot receive the frequency that a PPS transmitter uses, I would say that it is possible it can receive the signal a PPS transmitter puts out. At which point, it's just firmware for the Descent that would have to support actually receiving and processing the signal from the PPS transmitter. The firmware COULD be written to be smart enough to recognize a PPS transmitter and continue to monitor RF instead of switching to ultrasonic when it gets submerged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom