deco bars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS another benefit is having lots of divers together and so redundant brains, gas etc.

PPS here the boats are always live.

Use 2 floats, 1 for the shot to the wreck and the other for the deco station. Clip the deco station to the shot with a 10 foot tether and the boat could leave the shot anytime

Been using a drifting deco station setup for the past 5 years tethered to a shot line for diving deep reef and wrecks in the 50-100m range. We use two 21m lengths for each side of the deco station, with a loop spliced in every three metres, we usually place the bars at 9 and 6m (1.8m PVC), empty sorb containers are used as floats for each side and 8lb window sash weights on each side. The station is tethered to the shot with a 5m tether line, really hand to use an old SRT ascender to tether the deco station to to the shot, with a weight to pull the tether line down the shot to depth. if there is a bit of current you can pull the tether down to the appropriate depth (for us 21m) where it will remain and it won't ride up due to the drag of the station in the current.

While it can be a bit of mucking around deploying a deco station, and there will be a number of feck ups initially getting it twisted and tangled etc, a bit of practice and you will work it out and deploy the station efficiently. The big advantage for us is that it keeps the team together during the long deco hangs usually 1.5 to 2hrs, we also stage our shallow bailout tanks, along with suit heating batteries etc. Sending up an SMB from 50+m is just not an option for us only in an emergency and we have a procedure to deal with that, otherwise the team will spread out too far drifting under a bag if there is any current. It is amazing how much the rate of drift varieties amongst a group.

In addition, we have fast moving currents on the Scottish West coast. After a 45+ minute deco ride your could be miles away from your boat and your fellow divers. You're then left with either swimming to shore or hoping Search & Rescue find you. In the UK they will recover the divers, dive kit will be cut off and abandoned; their job is to save life not equipment.
W.T.F.....Please, if my body is recovered don't cut up my kit. Save the dive gear, and give it to a new diver, or someone experienced that will appreciate it.
My body being eaten by the majestic mammals, and all the other beautiful creatures of inner space.....has a certain appeal to me. :)
:cheers:

W.T.F.....Please, if my body is recovered don't cut up my kit. Save the dive gear, and give it to a new diver, or someone experienced that will appreciate it.
My body being eaten by the majestic mammals, and all the other beautiful creatures of inner space.....has a certain appeal to me. :)
:cheers:
There was a situation a few years ago when 2 divers got into difficulty when the sea built up whilst they were down. On surfacing they found 2m waves breaking on rocks at the exit point. Someone called S&R, a helicopter and lifeboat responded. The winchman cut one diver out of his rebreather, the lifeboat crew dekitted the other; all kit was allowed to sink.

The kit was found 2 days later at 50m, by the divers themselves. Could have been an expensive lesson.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom