HOG backplate setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apenland01

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a HOG backplate and DGX Ultimate Hogarthian harness kit. The instructions say to use the top hole in the backplate, but the middle hole seems to work best. The top hole puts a tough strain on the webbing to start. Is the middle hole okay, or is there a reason to use the top hole? Ignore the bolt, it's just what I'm using right now to hold the harness in place. Not sure whats best to use permanently though. It seems nylon bolts, stainless bolts and zip ties are used....

IMG-4821.jpg

IMG-4822.jpg

IMG-4824.jpg

Where you have it is fine. Book screws or “sex bolts” are whats used usually. I would also recommend from experience that you put the top strap protecters a little higher. The top of the plate does more damage to the shoulder straps than the slots do because of how much more range of movement it gets. So barely in the bottom slot, all the way through the top slot and protruding well over the upper edge of the plate.

Where you have it is fine. Book screws or “sex bolts” are whats used usually. I would also recommend from experience that you put the top strap protecters a little higher. The top of the plate does more damage to the shoulder straps than the slots do because of how much more range of movement it gets. So barely in the bottom slot, all the way through the top slot and protruding well over the upper edge of the plate.

Great tip on the protectors. It makes sense that most of the rub is on the top of the plate. Actually, the bottom slot doesn't need to have any protection, since it won't be getting any movement hardly. Really, it's that top slot and over the top of the plate. Good call...

Why not try running the webbing the opposite way on top so the straps come out the front of the plate.

I'm with you on this. I have a SS BP and a SS STA. The STA has tank straps on one side and bolts on the opposite side. When I fasten my BP to the STA with the wing in between the bolts protrude through the concave side of the BP. This orientation is necessary so that the bolts don't dig into your back. The shoulder straps come out the concave side and loop down and go through slots at the bottom of the BP. If you're not using a STA I would think you would want your back to nestle inside the concave side of the BP. It looks like apenland01's BP is backwards but maybe this is how Hog's are used. Dunno for sure.

I'm with you on this. I have a SS BP and a SS STA. The STA has tank straps on one side and bolts on the opposite side. When I fasten my BP to the STA with the wing in between the bolts protrude through the concave side of the BP. This orientation is necessary so that the bolts don't dig into your back. The shoulder straps come out the concave side and loop down and go through slots at the bottom of the BP. If you're not using a STA I would think you would want your back to nestle inside the concave side of the BP. It looks like apenland01's BP is backwards but maybe this is how Hog's are used. Dunno for sure.

Optical illusion maybe? The first two pictures are of the tank side. The last picture is of the wetsuit side, where the bolt is tucked away, so it won't hit me in the back. I'm not using a STA, as the HOG 32 wing has the tank stabilizer bar things.

Sounds like a bolt length problem.? I dive with doubles often and have them bolted through the plate. The bolts never touch my back because as mentioned above, they are tucked up in the groove of the concave side.

Back
Top Bottom