How to explain Liability to boat owner (in simple examples)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just sometime we get normal people who understand accidents happen and we sit down and settle it like adults.
For what it's worth, my dad (who makes adventure sports equipment and has been sued a few times) has remarked that most people who get injured in that sport actually don't sue. But the ones who die, their families almost invariably do.

$5k? One insurance company spent 25 grand last week on their defense in the Stewart case. No idea how much Horizon, Sotis, or any of the rest of the defendant’s insurance companies spent. They haven’t spent a million yet, but they will if it goes to trial.
LOL sorry I didnt mean to imply that as his entire defense from an actual suit
I think he's imagining defending himself and it being rare or affordable or "worth the risk" but I'm not in this owner's head so what do I know

Interesting side development,

Boat A - Has full liability through company A, H & M is through company B. With the liability all standard diving is covered as long as the vessel is chartered and not a dive vessel, ie vessel is chartered as whole and not offered on a per seat diving basis.

Boat B - Has insurance both H & M and liability through company C. Here diving is excluded on a standard policy and you must pay extra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom