deco bars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do that all the time using SMBs. Deco bars are usually decorated with air or oxygen from topside.
This is the configeration taught as part of the Advanced Diver course.

Trapeze.jpg

That's anchored to the bottom. I will carry my deco gas and shoot an SMB to the surface so the boat can follow my drift. I usually send it as I leave the wreck.

That's anchored to the bottom. I will carry my deco gas and shoot an SMB to the surface so the boat can follow my drift. I usually send it as I leave the wreck.
There's a clip where the trapeze joins the shotline which is unclipped to let the whole thing drift with the current.

What's the advantage of it over an SMB? I just don't see a need for any additional complexity.

They’re common in places like North Carolina where you’re not making a free ascent...you’re following the line up. Reference @tbone1004 post.

Your first pre-dive brief off NC is interesting...essentially if there’s a strong current and you depart the line on the way up...you pop your SMB to alert the crew and you’re on your own until they can recover the other divers and chase after you.

It’s a long way up to the hang bar when you’re following the full scope of the line up from a 100’ dive.

What's the advantage of it over an SMB? I just don't see a need for any additional complexity.
Emergency cylinders can be placed on it, multiple divers can use it and stay together for their last deco stop. Makes it easier for the boat to follow and recover one trapeze than many DSMBs that are driffting apart.

Emergency cylinders can be placed on it, multiple divers can use it and stay together for their last deco stop. Makes it easier for the boat to follow and recover one trapeze than many DSMBs that are driffting apart.

It’s a neat and useful setup (my two cents). In our case, they had a hose and regulator hung at the bar running up to a cylinder on the boat, just in case.

After the last dive, we helped haul everything over the rail. Chain, rope, hang bar, buoy, etc. The anchor was brought up via a lift bag. It was quite a process. Much easier dropping it in than hauling it out, lol.

They’re common in places like North Carolina where you’re not making a free ascent...
I've done just that, but it looks like a lot of hassle for a semi free ascent. Plus, you have to wait for more than one team?

I've done just that, but it looks like a lot of hassle for a semi free ascent. Plus, you have to wait for more than one team?
No argument there, its a tool for the expedition diving. Not really something used recreationally.

I agree. I wouldn’t want to mess with this kind of setup unless it was deemed necessary from a safety standpoint.

More than one team? In the scenario that I mentioned, there’s no safety diver team(s). The bar is more a safety stop bar than a deco bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom