Focus 2.0 new LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

king_of_battle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've had my focus 2.0 for a little less than 3 years. Recently my Halcyon Focus 2.0's led burned out during a dive. I contact Halcyon and they warrantied the work - it was pretty seamless. I just got it back and noticed it has a different led type in it. I think it had a cree XML-2 pushing about 1050 lumens before. From the invoice it looks like it now has a lumiled lmz7-qw65 pushing out about 900 lumens. I haven't had a chance to get it in the water yet but the obvious difference is that it went from a single emitter creating that single square block to 4 emitters making 4 small boxes. At 5ish feet it does look like it creates slightly more spill... Has anyone else seen this new LED on the focus? Thoughts? I am already missing the single box of light - I hope it works as well in the murky water up here in New England.

Attachments

• IMG_8488.jpg
    IMG_8488.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 212
Here it is in the night. I'll be honest I'm not in love with the 4 leaf clover look. I hope its better in the water.

Attachments

• IMG_8495.jpg
    IMG_8495.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 232
It wasn't any better in the water. It looked washed out and lost its punch which is the main reason I went with the focus. I'll see if I cna get some in water footage this weekend but I can't believe how bad it looks now and how seemingly ineffective it is in low viz water now. I may be in the hunt for a new light soon :(

I think that je XHP 70.1 which have separated 4 leds , you can solve that with XHP 70.2 which have 4 leds together and have same voltages and currents. But for better beam I would take smaller die like XHP 50.2 and switch on higher resistor shunt in led driver. It will reduce lumens because od tighter and more nice beam and might increase lux on more intensive beam. Rainbow rings came from ashperics lens and remain on tight focus. For DIR beam you need other led and driver.

I think the problem is this was how the manufacturer - Halcyon - fixed the issue. It appears they are putting a less than optimized led into the light head as a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom