Search for Missing Diver Underway west of Tarpon Springs, FL 9_12_2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescuers search for diver missing off Anclote Key
Rescuers continue to search Sunday for a diver who disappeared about seven miles off Anclote Key since Saturday afternoon.

The diver, a 35-year-old man, was out diving with friends and got separated from the group, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

The Coast Guard sent a boat and helicopter Saturday and will continue searching throughout the day as rain showers lash Tampa Bay and Tropical Storm Sally continues to strengthen off the southwest coast of Florida. The storm is expected to dump heavy rains on the region this week.

Anyone with information was asked to contact the Coast Guard on marine radio channel 16 or at (727) 824-7534.

Eddie is a spearfishing buddy of mine. I just heard the news. I'm just crushed at the moment. More boats are going out to look for him tomorrow, but the weather doesn't look good. I'm praying for you buddy. :-(

Coast guard has called off the search after 43 hours. There are 10 boats with divers headed to the dive area this morning to search. No other details right now. Eddie was a fit guy, so it's hard to imagine a medical issue, but that's just speculation. Nothing else really known at the moment.

Eddie is a spearfishing buddy of mine. I just heard the news. I'm just crushed at the moment. More boats are going out to look for him tomorrow, but the weather doesn't look good. I'm praying for you buddy. :-(
Sorry to hear about your friend. Hoping for a positive outcome.

Very sorry to hear this. Did he have a light?

I have some 2nd hand information regarding this incident from a friend who has spoken with another friend of ours who was on the boat. No, I have not spoken to the person on the boat directly, but I thought this was not just speculation. Weather was okay, waves not too rough, not much current, and visibility wasn't bad. Eddy never resurfaced is what I've been told. The site off Anclote was 7 miles out, and the water was only 34 feet deep. Eddy was in really great shape. He dove with steel 120's, and I was told he had a dsmb on him. I forgot to ask about a light. For the life of me, I can't imagine what could have occurred outside of a medical event or some type of entanglement issue if he never made it to the surface, and I would think there would be some equpment or something out there had it been a medical event, but I don't know whether or not his speargun was buoyant or not.

Divers did go out and dive the site at 3am the following morning and visibility for the night dive was said to have been very good for a night dive in the gulf and nothing was found. No equipment. Nothing. That's all I've heard so far. Obviously, nothing new on the search side of things. :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom