We can't blame the love boat people on this one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since most 4wd Jeeps stay on the road as well, the best answer is “looks cool”. I park next to a lifted Jeep with a snorkel, winch, and some sort of flat black bed liner like paint. It’s the daily commuter for an orthopedic surgeon. My old boss drove a Corvette at 55 mph on the highway. Did he sport the Corvette club varsity jacket? Of course he did.
Not everyone lives long enough for the Midlife.

I still wonder why pay more for a 2WD jeep that's not allowed off road?
You have seen the lines of tourists coming and going in their jeeps. That is what you do when you get off a cruise ship in Cozumel. Do the Jeeps cost more to rent than a car? I don't know, I've only rented cars on the island, and a minivan once.

Do the Jeeps cost more to rent than a car? I don't know,
Spot checking Fiesta for October 1, a DODGE ATTITUDE is $21, JEEP PATRIOT is $29, JEEP WRANGLER is $41.

I made good money during college pulling tourist off the beach with my Chevy K5 Blazer...what a beast that truck was...

Funny thing is that someone asked me about my first car earlier today —Chevy K5 Blazer.

Unfortunately mine was seriously underpowered—could barely pull its own weight. If I wanted to pass someone on a 2 lane road I had to back off 100 yards behind them to get a running start at the pass. Would hold down the accelerator until I got right on their bumper and then swerve into the opposite lane. Without running start would take 30+ seconds in opposite lane praying no oncoming traffic showed up. Early/mid eighties Detroit at is finest!

Since that car (which was hand me down, but with only a few miles ) I have always been very aggressive on test drives when buying a car to make certain they had plenty of passing power

Funny thing is that someone asked me about my first car earlier today —Chevy K5 Blazer.

Since that car (which was hand me down, but with only a few miles ) I have always been very aggressive on test drives when buying a car to make certain they had plenty of passing power

Ha...I graduated to a Ram Hemi, Chipped, Flowmaster 40 Delta And hosting 440hp....does the job :wink:

I ran into this Bronco on the beach once.
Bronco.JPG

Spot checking Fiesta for October 1, a DODGE ATTITUDE is $21, JEEP PATRIOT is $29, JEEP WRANGLER is $41.
I'd sure be up for renting that Patriot. But somehow I don't believe $29 will do it, even in Covid season. Checking Isis I see a VW Gol sedan is $55. At Ernesto's a Wrangler prebooked is $60.

I wonder why people do a lot of things. They probably just want the look and experience of a jeep, to ride in the wind without a top.

Exactly. They’re on vacation...they want to live it up and enjoy a fun vehicle with the top down.

Besides...for most people, a Jeep Wrangler is just an image thing. Most wont even see so much as a fire road. It may as well be a 2WD for most folks, but then they wouldn’t be able to tell their office peeps that they have a 4WD.

The only time 4WD is going to get engaged is if they happen to need it due to a snow storm. There is a LOT of VERY clean $40k+ Jeep Wranglers (pimped out Rubicons) in my area. Same with $50k+ jacked up trucks without so much as a scratch.

Ha...I graduated to a Ram Hemi, Chipped, Flowmaster 40 Delta And hosting 440hp....does the job :wink:

Gotta love the Hemi. My Ram is stock, but it still sounds good.

I made good money during college pulling tourist off the beach with my Chevy K5 Blazer...what a beast that truck was...

Back when I was a goofy surfer kid, I got my 69 Galaxy 500 stuck in the sand way down the beach from Port Aransas, Texas. ( I think I was around 19 years old.) I was off in the boonies looking for a magical sandbar break with my surfboard.

If you know what a 69 Galaxy 500 was like, you know it's not for the beach. It isn't hard to imagine one stuck in the sand.

A guy in a giant monster truck pulls up (looks like Grave Digger, towering over me.) The driver says he'll pull me out for $25 dollars. It had taken all my fast food earnings to buy gas from Corpus Christi to Port Aransas and I told him I had zero cash.
So he asks if I have any weed. Which I didn't.
So then, he starts looking at my surfboard leaning against the car. That was not an option. I would have abandoned my car to keep my surfboard.
"Ok, he says. "See you around." then drives away.

Eventually, a family in a large truck with a camper shell pulled me out.

If you're going to be traveling on a remote beach, always have cash, weed or a surfboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom