Truck for diving help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I have come across a new (red.. not a fan but.. ) leftover 2019 Ranger Lariat (every option) with a sticker of a whopping $46,300 and I have them down to $37,800 so far.

I don’t even see any Lariat’s on Cars.com with an MSRP that high. Does it have dealer installed options?

Check Truecar and your banks website (if you’re financing). A lot of banks have a car buying service that works through Truecar and will give you an idea of if their price is in the ballpark.

That would be nice. I would do a lot more diving down in NC, but hotel costs (generally $200+/night when I’ve looked) make it cost prohibitive for me.

Hopefully not too much of a thread derail here...look at air BnBs. I've found a couple of nice ones in Beaufort for around $120/night including a kitchen. Cooking your own food also helps keep the costs down.

Back to our regularly scheduled programing... The transit van idea is good for a lot of versatile reasons. But, what I like about a pick up truck is the ability to throw wet, smelly gear in the back and enjoy a relatively smell free ride home from FL!

Didn't read all the posts, so if this is a duplicate, I am sorry. Be aware that there are frame issues with Tacomas as late as 2017 models. Wife just had to have an inspection done by the dealer. Other than that, she loves her half truck!! Me, I drive an F250 SD, due to pulling a backhoe or dump trailer.

ps,,,don't much care for the 4 cylinder in her truck, not enough power for me.

I loved my Tacoma. I had to upgrade when the family was growing. I had one with the 3.4L V6. It had plenty of power, and was great for hauling gear. Due to a remote assignment, I had gotten used to driving a car with no power (0.8L), and when I came home, I was smoking my tires at every light until I got used to the power again.

Newer Tacomas are nice, but have a different powerband. They really need to rev a bit to make power.

Not enough truck for me today, due to the boat I tow, but Tacos are great little trucks.

My daily driver is a 2010 Tacoma with the v6 and 6 speed. I dive almost everyday and usually haul a combination of aluminium 80s, hp117's, doubles and decos. I live on St. Thomas in the USVI where the roads are rough and they're lots of steep hills. Sometimes I'm trailering my c14 inflatable too. It's been a dependable workhorse. I grew up with 3 different generations of 4runners before that which were all great. I can't vouch for the newer models but I've been happy with they toyotas we've had so far.

Yeah, the 4 cylinder in the Tacoma is pretty under powered but I heard gets good MPG.

I had the 4-cylinder. It wouldn't pull a hat off your head and barely got better gas mileage than the V-6.

I have a 2004 Tacoma with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual. It is fine for diving, I regularly haul half a dozen tanks and two scooters I currently have 479,000 miles on it. When I bought it, I knew what it was for, and do not expect it to be a F-150. If I have something heavy to tow, I rent a truck. I may have to tow something heavy 2 times a year. The Taco will tow my 16 foot jon boat fine. I average 22 mpg.

I have a 2004 Tacoma with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual. It is fine for diving, I regularly haul half a dozen tanks and two scooters I currently have 479,000 miles on it. When I bought it, I knew what it was for, and do not expect it to be a F-150. If I have something heavy to tow, I rent a truck. I may have to tow something heavy 2 times a year. The Taco will tow my 16 foot jon boat fine. I average 22 mpg.
That is about 2 generations back. Doesn't mean that the current generation is as good. Your generation is legendary, and still a sought after year to get. But things have changed a lot since then. But as long as Toyota can count on people remembering your generation and thinking it is the same, they have sales.

Back
Top Bottom