Recommendations for PADI Rescue Diver—In the Keys or South Fla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scuba Experts:

I am looking for recommendations for a good Rescue Diver course in Key Largo, Broward, or Palm Beach. Thanks.

Why PADI? Be more concerned with the instructor and course content. If taught strictly by the book, rescue is ok but may have some shortcomings when it comes to real life.
Find a course where the instructor meets and then exceeds standards and book content. I spend a fair amount of time talking about PTSD for recreational rescuers. I have a handout I wrote to augment that area that has been published internationally by X-Ray magazine and on the Shearwater blog.
I have students cut me out of a harness.
While they are taught and practice in water rescue breathing, they are told the reality is that it's more likely to result in a bad outcome.
If the rescuer doesn't practice the skill regularly, what is likely to happen in a real situation is they are going to push the victims head underwater, close the airway, and delay proper resuscitation efforts. Get them out of the water or on a stable platform is more likely to be of aid.
There should be surprise scenarios that students are not told about prior to the OW sessions.
While not being abusive, it should be physically and mentally tasking with plenty of debrief time after the course to deal with any residual effects.
I've spoken to a few people whose rescue class rather than give them confidence, made them more hesitant to respond because they were asked to do things they didn't think they would be able to later. That's why alternatives have to be offered. One very small female felt like she failed even though she got a card, because she wasn't able to get a much larger "victim" out of the water. I asked what she was told to do. She told me they said ok, we'll go on to something else.
This was a good opportunity to explain about enlisting on-lookers and using certain rope methods or a net to extract someone. That wasn't done. So rather than give extra confidence, it implanted more doubt.

Don't worry about the agency. Find the right instructor and I would recommend looking up Ryan Custureri at Aqui Watersports. Ryan Custureri
AQUI Water Sports

+1 for Ryan. Spent quality time with him over a week last month.

You will get training rather than the cursory orientation that Jim aptly describes. And from Ryan’s training, you’ll gain durable confidence.

Also, you’ll have access to two health care professionals if you want to nerd out (good thing) on the short and long term physiological implications of the various types of trauma.

Scuba Experts:

I am looking for recommendations for a good Rescue Diver course in Key Largo, Broward, or Palm Beach. Thanks.

Rainbow reef is excellent In the upper keys area

Sea Experience or Dixie Divers in Ft Laudrdaoe area...

Why PADI? Be more concerned with the instructor and course content. If taught strictly by the book, rescue is ok but may have some shortcomings when it comes to real life.
Find a course where the instructor meets and then exceeds standards and book content. I spend a fair amount of time talking about PTSD for recreational rescuers. I have a handout I wrote to augment that area that has been published internationally by X-Ray magazine and on the Shearwater blog.
I have students cut me out of a harness.
While they are taught and practice in water rescue breathing, they are told the reality is that it's more likely to result in a bad outcome.
If the rescuer doesn't practice the skill regularly, what is likely to happen in a real situation is they are going to push the victims head underwater, close the airway, and delay proper resuscitation efforts. Get them out of the water or on a stable platform is more likely to be of aid.
There should be surprise scenarios that students are not told about prior to the OW sessions.
While not being abusive, it should be physically and mentally tasking with plenty of debrief time after the course to deal with any residual effects.
I've spoken to a few people whose rescue class rather than give them confidence, made them more hesitant to respond because they were asked to do things they didn't think they would be able to later. That's why alternatives have to be offered. One very small female felt like she failed even though she got a card, because she wasn't able to get a much larger "victim" out of the water. I asked what she was told to do. She told me they said ok, we'll go on to something else.
This was a good opportunity to explain about enlisting on-lookers and using certain rope methods or a net to extract someone. That wasn't done. So rather than give extra confidence, it implanted more doubt.

Don't worry about the agency. Find the right instructor and I would recommend looking up Ryan Custureri at Aqui Watersports. Ryan Custureri
AQUI Water Sports

Thanks for your insights.

Many thanks to those who tagged Aquí Watersports in this post. We appreciate the kind words.

@Catito If you have any questions please let me know. We would be happy to arrange a course with you if you would like.

We have multiple excellent instructors to chose from with a strong complementary background.

Of the five staff instructors, myself and one other are MDs, two are veterans, and two are Instructor Trainers. We bring a lot to the table for a discerning student looking for quality training.

Cheers,
Landon Lasseter MD MS MBA
Partner - Aquí Watersports

I agree with what @Jim Lapenta said...focus more on finding an instructor with a good reputation, rather than focusing on the certifying agency.

I took AOW with @LandonL when I was in FL last year. I got a lot out of the course and I had a great time. I thoroughly recommend Landon as an instructor and would gladly take another course with him in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom